Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 7:29 am 

My daughter just turned 1 yr. old. She will only feed herself Gerbers fruit puffs. Any other finger (or other) foods she will pick up, play with and either drop on the floor or hand to me. So I just feed her. Do I keep offering, but feed her if she won't do it herself in hopes this will resolve itself eventually? or do I put food in front of her and if all she does is play with it, let it go at that and don't feed her? Of course I wouldn't do this for every meal, letting her go without eating until she feeds herself.
I'm open to advice, suggestions. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has ever had this problem.
Thanks!
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:48 pm 

Hi,

My son didn't start feeding himself with toddler utensils until about 18 mos.
He would feed himself with his hands no problem, but wouldn't and couldn't get the hang of the utensils. He is 2 now , and he can do it no problem.

Your daughter is still young......I would feed her so she gets most of her meal down her. But still always offer a spoon so she can try herself....show her how and let her watch you use your utensils, and encourage her to try feeding herself while you sit beside her.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:35 pm 

My daughter will be 16 mos on monday. I would put just a few baby finger foods on her tray with a few of her favourite. Her being hungry seemed to make a difference in her trying new things. She had a food aversion for a long time. I would put the food on the tray, no plate, no utensils, and just let her do what she wanted with them. As she saw me taking tastes of the same thing, or if I took a tiny piece off of what I was eating and fed it to her, she'd at least try it. She soon started feeding herself. I only step in when it was clear she is having trouble getting food in and was getting more frustrated than anything. Sometimes I think it is hard for them to move on from favourite things.

If I had a suggestion, I guess it would be to wait as along as possible before you feed her yourself. She might be so used to you feeding her, she doesn't see the need or have the interest. She will come around when she's ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:02 pm 

My opinion is that you're pushing too hard. Milestones like this will happen when they happen. If you're pushing and/or frustrated, your child will sense it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:22 pm 

Well, now sh'e 14 months old and has finally decided to start feeding herself in the last 2-3 weeks. I was starting to think she'd be 2 before it happened!! Now she barely lets me feed her.

Thanks for all the suggestions and support!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:49 pm 

My daughter is almost 14mths, she pickes EVERYTHING up with her hands and i still feed her stuff she cant pick up on her own, she's just now even getting interested in the spoon, kinda knows how to use it but likes to use it to make more of a mess than anything. Dont worry at all, its normal.