Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:13 am 
Just some advice needed here. I was sick about 2 weeks ago with a cold and now I am positive my baby has caught it. :( She only has a stuffy nose and coughs a little but it seems to be just when she swallows some spit or mucus. All the books say to take the baby to the doctors if they are under 3 months old, but all she has is a stuffy nose. She does not even have a temp. So advise from you experienced moms w2ould be helpful. How long do they usually last. We are flying next friday Dec 24. Will the cold effect her on the plane. Any advise is good advise. Thanks! :Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:49 am 

With my kids they usually last close to 2 weeks until they are completely better. The drs. say 7-10 days. Typical things a dr. will tell you to do is prop bed up, run a humidifier or vaporizer in their room, use saline drops. They say decongestant meds don't work in children under 1. They say if they aren't better after the 7-10 days to bring them in. If I don't if my child needs to see a dr or not I will call the ped. office and talk with a nurse, which they make us do anyway. Also it is RSV season so watch for that since she's little. It starts off like a cold but very quickly gets bad. Since your flying next week you may want to have her checked just to make sure her ears are clear. Have her suck on something on takeoff and landing such as bottle, pacifier to help the ears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:30 am 

Morning!!! I am sorry you and your baby is sick. The doctor will probably tell you to run the cool mist humidifier and use those saline drops for her nose. But because you are flying next week I would defiantly get her in to see the doctor. You don't want this cold to settle in her ears and you don't know if it already has and you don't want to find out when you are up in the plane. Like Mom of 2 said prop her mattress that will help her cough and help her from getting an ear infection. I wouldn't give her any medicine this young without a doctors okay. Sometimes they just make them hyper. Then you will have a sick child who won't sleep...........not a good combination. Good luck and keep us posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:24 pm 
Thanks for the advise. I actually ended up not having anything to worry about. Yes she still had the sniffles when we left but she was wonderful on the plane. She loved it because there was so much to look at! Image