Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:27 am 

My son is 9 1/2 and for the last 2 months has been plagued with worries. For example; we went shopping and he kept is mouth covered the whole time for fear of spitting on the things in the store. Our furnace broke and he fretted and fretted that he broke it.
He'll walk past a wall and his coat will brush the wall and he'll panic that he got the wall dirty because his coat touched it. He doesn't worry about getting dirt or germs FROM things, but instead worries about leaving dirt or germs ON things. He'll ask if he can go outside wearing a particular coat, when I say yes, he'll check again, I"ll reassure him, then h?ll go GET the coat bring it over and make sure I see which coat he's wearing. He'll finally go out side, only to come back in once or twice more just to check that he heard me right and he can go outside in this coat.

We seem to have no conversation at all anymore other than me calming his worries. He spends a lot of time talking about, or rather confessing, bad behavior from years ago. "Once when I was six, I was mean to my friend"

Has ANYONE been throug this with their child. I can't seem to find an answer that calms him. I"ve tried soothing, forgiving, scolding, ignoring. I'm completely lost

Thanks for your time

KC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:30 am 

Well, I am certainly no expert, but I do think that you should take him to see one. It sounds like he is displaying signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Is there a school counselor that you can talk to? If not, contact your son's general practitioner. He or she can recommend you to the appropriate mental health care provider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:39 am 

I agree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:46 pm 

As I read your post, I was thinking to myself that it does sound like OCD, which Suzanne had also mentioned. And yes I would make an appt. with your GP and mention the behaviour to him, he will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:23 am 

Is your son being bullied at school? It sounds to me like he isd trying to limit his behaviour to avoid problems but you need to see a pediatrition,I cannot emphasise that enough! I have a close friend whose son is autistic and he displays these symptoms ,plus others. My second son has o.d.d. so it can be fun with him in my life.But this is not your fault!!! just see someone and soon! here if you need me ........................tracey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:33 pm 

As soon as I started reading it I thought OCD as well