Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: A Basic Question
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:23 am 

Hello everybody. I just joined this group and i am a new mother to be. I am an Indian, now living in Europe. I am very much surprised with one aspect of the European babies. They hardly break out a tantrum in public. I admire them sitting quitely in Trains,trams,shopping maals etc., I have observed the same attitude with the American kids too. AM REALLY IMPRESSED. Bcos this is not the case with the kids back home. I would like to know how to train babies to stay quite in public. Can any of you help me out? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 10:57 pm 

If you find out, let me know. I hear Benadryl works ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:56 pm 

Works for me Steve. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:04 am 

HI everybody. Thanks a lot DadSteve and Jenna103 for the replies. Do you guys say that Benadryl is the solution? :( I will hunt for some other solution and will let you know, if i come with some promising solutions. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:58 am 

Oh no not at all. We were only kidding

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:10 am 

Thank God, you told me this jenna. I thought you guys meant it and I was a ltl shocked. Now I am a bit relieved hehehe :lol:

Since I am in France, i have this language barrier - otherwise i will go straight to one of the moms in the train or supermarket and will get the firsthand info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:22 am 

If there's one thing you need with kids is a sense of humor. If you really want to know my tip. My son had a tantrum once in a store. I totally ignored it. I didn't even get embarrassed. And this was a big one. I screaming, throw down crying fit. I always thought I would be mortified when that happened to me but at that moment I thought. Probably most woman in this store have kids. I find it hard to believe this has never happened to them. So I just continued on with my shopping. Just walked right passed my son (OF course I only walked down the iasle so I could just see him). He was watching me as he was screaming. I made like I didn't even hear it and kept walking. He stopped for a second to ask where I was going. I told him shopping and when he was done he should catch up. I also told him in my regular voice that if the screaming continues I will just go home and throw out his trains (he loves trains) he stopped and started walking behind me. That was the one and only tantrum he had.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:10 am 

WOW!!! Perfect, Jenna. Brilliant tactics.

I know, I have a long way to go :wink: But still I want to know things in advance. I would like you to explain the situation whihc lead me to jump in to this search for the answer. We have another indian family living in our apartments. They have a cute ltl boy - 7 months old. Whenever we go out for shopping or dinner together, he will always pose trouble to his parents. He wouldnt let his mom eat at all. When he's in the pram, he will start screaming, until he is picked up. His parents dont want others to be disturbed. So his dad will pick and hold him while his mom finishes the dinner and then she will take charge. Whereas all these french kids will silently be playing with their toys sitting in the pram, while their parents enjoy the dinner. Now and then they will just feed them something and will continue with their appointment. How to explain the 7 month old to keep quiet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:15 am 

Oh a seven month old is different. They have no concept of how to sit quietly while people eat. And every child is different. When my son was younger we always took him out to eat and he would just sit in his carrier and be perfectly content. My daughter is not like that. They are raised the same just two different babies. And I do the same thing with her. When we are at a resteraunt and she starts fussy I do pick her up right away. I don't think it's fair for people who are out to dinner to relax to listen to my baby. So I hold her until my husband is done eating and then he takes her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 3:54 am 

Thats true Jenna. Every baby is different. All I can do now is jsut to keep my fingers crossed. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:08 am 

And not worry. YOu and your baby will do fine. Good luck!!