Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: a couple questions..
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:03 pm 
1. is there any way to aleviate gas in babies without using any form of medications or OTC stuff?

2. is it possible for babies to eat and eat and not realize that they are full?

3. if they are only drinking formula, can they get constipated?

k, i think thats all fer now :):):) yall are gonna see alot of me on this board, just thought id forewarn ya ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:24 pm 

With the whole gas thing...the most important thing to do is try to burp your baby if possible halfway through a feeding and after a feeding.

Also, try laying her down on her back and gently do a 'bicycle motion' with her legs to help expel gas.
Another thing I did with my son was I would very gently bring his legs up to his tummy and apply light pressure and that would work almost every time. I'm not sure if this one is good for newborn babies, it could also cause her to spit up if you're not gentle enough.
Try the bicycle motion first.

My son was f.f. and we didn't have too much trouble with constipation, excpet that some people say the formulas with high iron can cause constipation. But it's best to talk to your doctor before switching formulas.

With feeding a baby, I think a baby will regulate itself when it comes to feeding......some feedings she may take a lot and some feedings she will eat less. A baby will stop when it is full. If you find she is spitting up a lot after each feeding, then there may be a problem.. just ask your doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:53 pm 

Just one thing to add to Nikki's suggestions: another technique for expelling gas is to sit down with your knees bent (with your feet on the floor) and place baby across your lap on their tummy. Pat their back gently. This will help more if the gas is higher up in the digestive system (will come up as a burp).

I've never heard of babies eating more than they can, but I suppose it is possible. If your baby is spitting up or vomiting after eating "too much" I would guess that could be the problem.

My son had a lot of constipation too. My doc told us to give him fruit juice, but no more than 4-6 ounces because then you could have diarrhea! But I would definitely ask my doc before giving a newborn anything like that.

Best of luck!

Hugs,

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:32 pm 

Hey Melisa!!!
I know you don't want to give over the counter stuff but you may want to keep mylicon in the house. It's good to have for those times when she is so uncomfortable that she's crying. It won't hurt her I promise. Just give as directed. I used it with both my babies. But all those other ideas for gas are good to. If you think it's a big problem just mention it to your doctor the next time you see him. It could be the formula. Sometimes you have to try a few before you find one that will agree with her.
You are really worrying about this eating thing. LOL!! YOu can't over feed her. Just watch her. If she's pulling away or throwing it up then offer her less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:43 pm 

Sorry I didn't finsih my MSN has been giving me a problem.
Okay I think I just have the last question. Yes, she can get constipated just on formula. Especially if it has iron in it. She doesn't have to go every day though. But if you notice her really working hard for a few times then mention it to your doctor. I wouldn't give her juice yet. She's too little. Payton is having a problem this week and they told me I can give her a little juice and she's five months. THe best and first thing you can try is the rectal temp. That should help.
Keep 'em coming. We can handle any questions you toss our way. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:57 pm 
lol thank you for the replies.. i think tomorrow when im out ill get some of the mylicon stuff, just in case. Lol im not tryin to worry too much about the eating thing, i just dont wanna have a one month old 50 pounder if ya know wut i mean lol... i have noticed however just a little while ago, that sometimes when she is fussy and tired, he cry is like her hungry cry and she will show alot of the actions she does when she is hungry, so i automatically thought she was hungry, so i would give her a bottle, and she would suck and suck and suck and suck, but wouldnt really eat anything, she would ust kinda fall asleep. so now when she gets like that i sit and talk to her and rock her, and sometimes she falls right asleep. but as far as when she does eat, she is eating about 5 to 6 every 4 hours.. so i guess we will be ok, at least she does havean appetite lol. earlier this morning, (the reason y i asked about the constipation) is because i was feeding mykenzi, and she was gruntin and groanin and making all kinds of weird faces, so i though she pooped, and she didnt, but she sure did try, and everytime i tried to lay her down after sh went to sleep, she would start crying again, and it seemed she was only comfy if she was upright, and after she finally got tired enough to stay sleeping... (she was up from 4:45 am till 9:10) when she woke up she had pooped and was all better...

ok i think im done rambling.. :)

thank you for the replies :):) and im sure ill have lots more questions to throw your way, im an still learning :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:58 pm 

Infants can be very dramatic when attempting a bm. They will grunt, strain, etc. because they don't have control or whatever over those muscles yet so it doesn't mean constipation. Formula fed babies can go every day or once every several days. It's constipation if the bm is balls/solid/hard. I think if a baby wants to eat then they should be fed. They will push out the bottle or turn their head when their full. Usually babies are chunky, but that doesn't mean they are going to be fat when they get older. They usually slim down once they become mobile. My 1st ate small amounts every couple hrs and my 2nd eats like there's no tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:23 am 

Melisa give it a few weeks and you will ntoice different cries for different things. Payton has a regular cry when she's hungry, a grunting kind of cry when she's tired and a scream that can wake the dead when she just wants to be held.