Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: AFP testing
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:07 pm 

Hi I went to the Doc's yesterday and I got to hear the heartbeat for the third time! She said it sounded good and it sounds like a boy. Can they really tell by the pace of the beats? Also I had that AFP test done. Is that really needed? I read in the booklet they gave me that it can come back as something wrong if its done too early, you have twins or due date is off. My friend had that done at 16 weeks as well and the test came back positive for downs. She gave birth to a healthly baby girl that had no birth defects. So whats the point in taking it? It could just mean excessive worrying for nothing right? Oh yeah they wont do an ultra sound for me until way later. They wont give me one unless something is wrong. But i will keep you up dated. I hope all is doing well. baby dust from me to you.

xoxo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:36 pm 

You're a smart cookie. The AFP test is pretty pointless. And (though they don't always tell you this) it has a very rare rate of spontaneous abortion (a miscarriage). So why even bother? I think it's lame that it's so regulated when it's far from necessary for most woman. The results are often innaccurate and just call for more testing. All so you can worry more!?! Ahhhhh!! Stop the maddness!! :) I'd just aviod it in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:00 pm 

Well I am glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thinks its stupid!! So about the pace of the babys heart, can they really tell what the sex is by that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:31 pm 

No, it's just one of those old wives tales, but I'm sure some people will disagree. All my drs. said the rate means nothing. Maybe I just don't understand what you wrote babystar04, but how do you miscarry from the AFP test? They just draw blood. Also the AFP is not mandatory, some drs. just make you think that. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists says it should be offered to all women and if you refuse they usually make you sign a waiver so their not liable if something ends up being wrong. Also some insurances play a part in it. I know my first dr. asked if I wanted it done and my second didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:07 am 

I chose not to have the test done and when I said that they doctor looked at me a little weird and then I told her, "it's not going to make me have an abortion or do anything different besides worry more so I don't need to have the test." Then she said ok. I feel like I will get the child God gives me so why do I need a test the turns out with incorrect data sometimes just to get me worried. I'll get what I get and that is what God wants me to have!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 6:34 pm 

That is so funny! I have never heard of a doctor believing in those old wives tales! :lol: Maybe she just said that so you wouldn't want an ultrasound to determine sex. That's wierd. And the AFP test has like a 1 in 3 chance (or something like that) of coming back false positive...so, I wouldn't really worry about the results if I were you.