Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:11 am 

I have a 13 month old baby and went back and forth between having an only child and having another child. Well my dh and decided that we want to have another child, but we want three years between the two children. Now that we made up our mind to have another child, I want to start now, which would be two years between. I see benefits to having them two years apart and benefits to having them three years apart. I guess I just cant make up my mind. I see a three year old as a lot more independant than a two year old and that would make things a lot easier. If they are two years apart though, I would think that they would have a lot more in common growing up. So I guess my question is to all of the mommies that have more than one baby, what age span did you think worked the best. I am sure that this has been asked before, but was hoping someone could give me some insight. Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:11 am 

hi there.i have a 2 and ahalf and a 6 month old.like you i was wondering about a 2 year age gap or three but nature took its course and i fell pregnant earlier as i wanted a 3 year age gap but im really glad it happened that way as both boys get on great,corey loves to help getting nappies and toys for his little brother.i really think that if your only planning on having 2(thats now it for me)i think the closer the better.best of luck hope i helped a little. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:57 am 

I have a 8 year old and a 2 year old and I am pregnant now. I wanted to have my next one at least 3-6 years apart. But now my 2 year old whines all the time. I don't know if it is because I am pregnant or what? I just hope he gets better before the new baby comes. I think he already knows. I didn't think I would get pregnant that fast. With my second it took us about 3 months. But with this one I think I was pregnant the first month. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:37 pm 

I can't say from my own experience cause I only have one, but I have neices that are 4 almost 5 years apart and it is pure terror. They both fight and whine constantly! But then on the other hand, my brother, sister, and I are all 2 years apart and my brother and I got along great growing up and my sister and brother got along great, but me and my sister (there was 4 almost 5 years between us) fought constantly until she moved out and got married - ha ha.

I plan on having mine closer together. But who knows...everyone is different. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:24 pm 

You really have to look at your lifestyle, routines etc.

Two years is not bad, because that is the length of time it should take for a woman's body to come back to form.

You have to assess the relationship with your first child, and other family members. What is your routine now with him/her. Is it good, is it stressful etc. How did you cope with the first, was there family support from the beginning? You see, you can plan, but your plan will always affect others.

How is your husband's work routine? He is able to get off work again (if he did the first time)? Have you made any financial commitments that could jeopardise this plan?

Is grandma ready and auntie ready?

These are just a few things to think about. I like to look at things from an holistic view. It helps to clarify whether it is something that can proceed or wait.

Happy planning!!!