Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Albuterol?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:07 pm 

Hello again,

I took Brieanna to the doctor today for her four month shots. She weighs 12 pounds and 24 inches long.YEAH The doctor asked me how her cold is doing, I told her she is eating her normal amount of formula but still has coughing bouts during the day and it occassionally wakes her up at night. Brie sounds congested when she coughs and cries. The doctor listened to her chest and said she is not wheezing but asked if anyone in family has asthma. I told her I do but I wasn't born with it, I developed it later. I thought she would possibly advise something for her cough but instead prescribed albuterol. I didn't read the prescription in the office because Brie was upset from shots.It seems when she coughs it hurts? I don't know if I should find another dr and get another opinion but I don't feel comfortable giving her the medicine. :?

Thanks,
Melissa
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/brie04/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:12 pm 
i dont really think i can give you any advice except that you are her momma, you need to go with your gut feeling, if you feel it shouldnt be given, dont give it, get 1,2, even 3 more opinions if you need to. good luck, i hope brie ggets feeling better soon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:17 pm 

My husband has asthma and he takes that. And when Payton just had bronchitis they gave her cough medicine which had that in there. Other then that I can't help. If I may make a suggestion why don't you write down all your questions and concerns and either call the doctor and talk to him or make another appointment to see the doctor when she is not getting shots and tlak to him in person. Is there something imparticular about this medicine you are not happy with?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:20 pm 

I use albuterol for asthma and because I know it is for breathing issues is why I don't understand it being used for a cough and I don't want to give medeicine she don't need. Ill see how she is tomorrow with the cough and call dr back.

Thanks for your responses girls :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:25 am 

Well, I know they use it for cough to open up the lungs and let the mucus flow. That's what my doctor said when I asked why it was in cough medicine. How are they giving it to her? Is it in a cough medicine?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:12 pm 

No, it is the abuterol in a liquid. It says to take 3 times a day and on the side it says if difficulty breathing persists call dr. She doesn't have an issue with breathing. Just a cough. I know when I have an asthma attack I cough and taking the medicine helps open my lungs but she is not wheezing or having any difficulty breathing. I spoke with a really good friend of mine who is a RN and she disagreed with giving albuterol. Her little girl is two months younger than mine and she had a bad cough and her dr prescribed Donatussin. I will see how she does today and then call dr if I need to and ask for Donatussin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:10 pm 

I'll admit the cough medcine they gave me with the albuterol in it didn't helped. I stopped giving it. Do you have the cool mist in her room? That helps and raising her mattress where her head it when she sleeps helps a lot too.

Post subject: Albuterol
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:43 pm 

That is why I don't want to give it to her if it is not going to help. I do have a humidifier in her room and she is still coughing today however she doesn't cry anymore when coughing. It seems to be breaking up and she doesn't sound as conjested. She also is dealing with 4 shots she got yesterday - my little honey!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:41 am 

Try putting the mattress up. That helps a lot.
Also if it sounds like it's breaking up that's a good sign. Payton was spitting up mucus and the doctor was thrilled. It was clearing out