Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Asperger Syndrome
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:08 pm 

Hello all
Just found out yesterday that my younger son who is 8 years old was diagnosed with asperger syndrome which is a high funtioning form of autism its been a constant battle on getting him diagnosed and living with it with him its been hard at home and school I cry alot and wonder why it has to happen to such a sweet boy! I worry for him in todays society sure he has friends but only with children with similar problems he cant make friends with other children,any advice or support would be wonderful.. on a happier note just three more days til I find out the sex of my baby... :D Mandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:34 pm 

I have a friend right now who has a child with autism. He's only three so they won't diagnose him with a specific type, but they are leaning towards aspergers. He's one of the coolest kids I know. He's a reminder of how different people can be.

I suggest maybe looking for some online support groups as well as some IRL. There are plenty of programs set up now to help you and your family. They're learning more and more about autism everyday.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:37 pm 

Thank you for your reply he is awsome and has a wonderful personality I will look into that ty mandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:02 pm 

I use to work with children with autism while in college, a very good book to read is "Let Me Hear Your Voice" I cant remember the author, but its a mothers story of having a child with autism, and the different treatment methods that she chose. I am sorry about your son, but there are a lot of studies being done on autism with a lot of promising results.
Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:26 pm 
my nephew was diagnosed with that. my sister and her husband have a very hard time dealing with it due to the fact that he is the oldest of 3, his youner brother is the bully, and his younger sister is, well.. she is a female, enough said, she is 7 going on 21... so they have their hands full.. sometimes i go and spend some one on one time with him, and i dont really know what to think about it. if u need to talk, feel free to pm, ive experienced it first hand too :)

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:00 pm 

Ty ladies for the advice I will check out on that book and ty miss sparky for your advice I will take you up on the pm :D mandy