Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:17 pm 

This is my first time here and I need some advice. I have a problem and I could use some suggestions. My baby is almost 3 months old and when I try to get her the bottle, she will cry out like she's in pain at first, but then after a minute, she'll settle down and take the bottle with no more fussing. She did this for a while and we changed bottles...and it got better. Now she's doing it again. Has anyone experienced this? I don't know what's wrong and it bothers me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:43 pm 

I don't know whats wrong, but here are some ideas....
* Maybe she is really hungry before you start to feed her
* Maybe the milk is coming out too fast.
* Maybe the milk is too cold...my daughter will still fuss if the bottle is too cold

* Check inside her mouth to make sure there aren't any white patches that look just like formula but won't come off, that's called thrush. It would make it difficult to eat because it hurts and needs medical care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:46 pm 

Have you been breastfeeding? That's enough to make any baby mad...to get the bottle instead of the breast....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:20 pm 

Hi,

Another thing that could be causing your daughter to fuss is
that maybe the formula is not coming out fast enough.
Are you using the slow flow nipples? You could always try making
the holes just a little bigger and see how she responds to them.
My son at one point when he was younger just decided to stop taking his
bottle and went for more than nine hours without having any bottles. If we tried feeding him he would cry and fuss. We took him to the doctor and there was nothing wrong with him......he was healthy, he just wouldn't
eat.
We tried doing everything, finally I switched to the fast flow nipples made by Playtex and to my amazement he took his bottles with no problem or fuss at all.

I'm assuming that he was so frustrated with the slow flow nipples that he would not eat.......who knows, but once we switched to the fast flow he was fine.

Just make sure you don't make the holes to big so that she is not shocked by how much and how fast the formula comes out. Also prop her up a bit more if you try a faster flowing nipple.

Good luck.

Post subject: Mine did this, too
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:04 am 

My little one did that too - at about 3 months. I changed his nipples and he did much better. I use playtex and was able to find medium flow so it wasn't such a drastic change from slow to fast.

At about 4 months he started it again and dr said that he needed a different kind of calorie and we started him on solids. He has never done it again (well, until now and he's teething it's just because it really does hurt).