Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:30 pm 

Hi all

I just wanted to know if carrying my baby around with me all day attached to me in a pouch is a good idea. The only way I can acheive anything around the house and have some peace is by doing this - walking her to sleep or keeping her calm. Am I going to "spoil" her? She's not content to sit in her snug 'n safe chair and watch me go about my business.Plus she sleeps very little during the day and I can't sit on the couch the whole day holding her.

My baby is one month old.

thx
Cay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:18 pm 

It's not going to spoil her. She is still small and needs to feel safe and secure and if that works for both of you then go for it. Sometimes being a mom you have to take a time out yourself and not worry to much about housework, plus they're only little once. Enjoy while you can. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:00 pm 

I was told by a nurse that you really can't spoil a child for the first 3 months, of course my parents have their own opinion. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:10 pm 

Babies cant be spoiled!!! Most of the time they don't get that one on one connection phisically when they are that small with their parents. That is extremly important! I would say good job with taking time and putting in the effort to carrying your baby around with you. Your baby must really feel safe and secure when the baby is with you!! What a wonderful parent you are for doing that for your child!!!! I don't see anything bad with what you are doing!!! Good Luck!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:12 pm 

In my experience, I would try to make her sit in her swing or play pen as much as you can! I didnt' I did the pouch thing and carried her on my hip for hours a day and it got to the point she had to be held at all times......
I couldn't even bathe in peace.
I don't think you should let them scream in a swing or play pen and ignore her but.........................try putting her it 5 minutes at a time and she will get to liking it. I agree with the post above mine, babies need to be comforted, especially a new born but letting them sit 2 to 5 minutes an hour to start out without picking her up will be good for her and you too. She will get used it. I started that once I got to the point of back trouble and it was okay. She would sit for 10 minutes at a time to start out then 1/2 hour. So that gives you a little break. she could always see me though and seemed to be okay as long as I was in sight.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:54 am 

Thanks to everyone for your advice - I have gotten myself a baby sling and when she's really grumpy I put in in it for awhile and then when she's calm put her in her seat for a few minutes until she really gets annoyed then when I think she's going to start screaming really hard and get herself really and truly agitated I put her back into the sling again - I'm trying to stretch the seat thing a bit longer every day - or until I can't stand the crying anymore. I always make sure she can see and hear me - maybe after some time that will be enough for her.

Wish us luck

Kaitlyns mom

Post subject: baby pouches
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:21 pm 

I am so glad I am not the only one thinking about the pouch. My daughter is five weeks old and there are days I can't get a thing done. I wouldn't mind holding her all day cause I know you should enjoy them while they are young. But I also have a two year old so it's hard to tend to him with a five week old in your arms all day. I know they say you can't spoil baby's this young but it's amazing how she can be sound asleep in my arms then as soon as I put her down.her eyes pop open. Cay my daughter sounds like she's like your baby. SHe won't have any part of the bouncey seat and the swing.........maybe I get fifteen minutes out of it. And the car isn't that big of a hit either. My son who is now two was totally different. He would take a four hour nap in the swinf and sit for about an hour in the bouncy. This little one is going to give me a run for my money. Hahahaha but they make it fun