Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Baby Teeth
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:17 pm 

Hi Everyone,
My son is almost three months old and is already cutting his first tooth and it's on the cross. I can tell it's causing him a lot of discomfort but he isn't too keen on his teething ring, he'd rather just munch on his or my fingers. He's my first baby so i've never dealt with teething before, is there anything i else i can do to help ease the pain for him? The poor little guy's trying so hard to be his usual happy self.

Thankyou
Emma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:45 pm 

Hmmmm, let me think.... you know that stuff that numbs their gums? LOTS of that lol. We let our little guy chew on a frozen washcloth (get it damp, then freeze it). Hold a hard frozen popsicle and let him chew on that. If you don't mind, just let him chew on your finger. We've done all of this with both our children. Hope it helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:00 pm 

If he seems to be in pain, don't forget the Tylenol. I also agree with the cold washcloth! My son didn't particularly care for the teething rings either, but he loved this little old fashioned pretzel looking one. He also liked the teething bibs with the rubber corners!!

Best of luck!!

Hugs,

Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:00 am 

Thanks for that. I asked my clinic nurse and she said there was pretty much nothing i could do for him. I got the impression she was in a hurry to be somewhere else. I've started using Bonjella which seems to be helping. The tooth's really pushing up now and he's been having fevers on and off for the past 24 hours so i've been giving him lots of lukewarm baths and some baby panadol to help bring his temperature down. Hopefully the tooth will break through soon, i hate to see him in pain.

Emma

Post subject: teeth
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:57 pm 

Eventually they do come through! My little guy is 14 months old, and is just cutting molars. I think that's the worst. He's turned into a drooling, screaming biting machine!!

Has anything helped your little one?

Post subject: When to Medicate
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:45 pm 

Hi and thanks for the dialog it is helpful to see. My baby has the same teething issue. He's only 4 months old and mostly happy but every once in a while he just shreaks. The grandmas and aunts think he is teething and want me to give him tylenol whenever he cries. He is consolable with lots of jiggling and cuddling. I don't want him to be in pain, but I can't tell when I should be using medicine and when I shouldn't be. Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:27 pm 

Our pediatrician said it doesn't hurt to give them tylenol or ibuprofen as often as they need it, without going over the dosing guidelines. I use baby orajel, especially the overnight stuff. When our daughter, who is now five, was teething I was afraid I'd overmedicate her. My mom used to be a ped's nurse. She would alternate giving her tylenol then motrin, let her chew on a frozen washcloth, or hold a popcicle for her to gum. I do pretty much the same with our son, but waited until he was six or seven months old for the popcicle thing. We used to hold one of those Mr. Freezie pops for him to chew. You know the kind, like kool-aid frozen in a plastic tube? They worked well too. Beyond that, I just stay up a lot at night. Our little guy likes his head or feet rubbed. Seems to hypnotize him into a stupor. Hope that was at least marginally helpful!