Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Blood test
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:04 pm 

I'm just curious. I have an appointment on Tuesday morning to go to the doctor to find out if I'm pregnant...nevermind that I'm almost 3 weeks late and 4 hpts were positive (and in the past week I've been really nauseated...morning sickness maybe?). I still feel like I should find out from a doc, and then I can start having regular visits to make sure all is good. But I was wondering...how does the doctor's blood test work? How much do they take? Is it a prick of a finger, or a vile of blood, somewhere in between? How long until they get the result? I'm not a huge fan of doctors, I get nervous just thinking about having to see one. Any advise, reassurance, anything would be appreciated. Thanks! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:04 pm 

For my blood test, they just took blood from your arm with a syringe and put it in a tube that they connected to the syringe. It just feels like a little prick. It's not bad. I choose to stay very still so I dont feel it as much. I also look away. I cannot watch. Just do this and try to relax. You will be fine. Being pregnant comes with a lot of discomforts but you will survive them all because it is worth it for your baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:46 pm 

I agree. My first blood test ever was a couple months ago when I had my full OB panel done. I never had a blood test to confirm pregnancy. Just 3 HPT's and a urine test at the doctor. Then I went in at 8 weeks which is when they sent me in for the blood work. I was VERY nervous (I am also scared of needles). One thing I have learned is that it is an unneccesary fear. For your OB panel they will take a decent amount of blood. They took 5 viles from me (it took less than a minute and the pain was less than if you pinch yourself). I wouldn't worry. I just had my blood drawn twice today and it didn't hurt. Just relax and don't watch! Also you can ask for a butterfly needle, it is smaller and you can barely feel it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:17 pm 

They took a vile and where I'm at you get the results in a hour and then they schedule your first appt. which here is around 10weeks. They also then give you a prescription for vitamins or you can take over the counter prenatals. It's not to bad. Then the regular dr. visits they just weigh you, take blood pressure, listen to babies heartbeat, and check urine that you bring. Then a couple times throughout preg. they take blood. The appt. usually last 5 minutes and the waiting room wait is the horrible part..hours. Congrats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:32 pm 

It's official! The doctor...well, his nurse...said I'm pregnant!!! I scheduled an appointment with an ob-gyn for Nov 10...a little past 10 weeks. I'm so excited...it's finally starting to seem real! (Although the recent nausea and exhaustion have been feeling pretty real :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:38 pm 

Congrats!! Morning sickness does SUCK!! Mine only lasted 3 weeks. Gingerale helps and what really helped me tons was taking my prenatals at night before bed and along with those taking a vitamin B6 (which is what is in the prenatals for people with morning sickness). The B6 was a real life saver. Any drug store, target, walmart, etc. Should have it!! Best of luck. For most people the sickness won't last past the 12th week. Mine was done during the 10th. Not to much longer, 2nd trimester is way easier!!