Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Breast to Bottle?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:43 pm 

My daughter is 4 1/2 months old, and I have always nursed her, she took a bottle a few times in the early weeks, but now she is so used to the breast it seems impossible to get her to accept a bottle. First I tried different types of formula, thinking she didn't like the flavor, so next I tried putting breast milk in the bottle and she still wont take it. Any tips on getting her to take a bottle?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:12 pm 

Hey!!
MY daughter is breastfed also. She isn't on any formula. I find it works better for her; if I am giving her a bottle I give her only breast milk. THis way she isn't getting used to a formula change and the bottle at the sametime. Also until just a few weeks ago she would NEVER take a bottle from me. She would literally gag on it if I gave it to her and she would try turning into my breast. So my husband gives it to her, or if her Uncle is here or my parents. THis got her used to it. She may refuse at first but when she's hungry enough she'll do it. And even if you just breast feed just make sure you have some one give her the bottle once in a while. This way if you need to go out she'll take the bottle. Not sure if that all made sense. My little one is here on my lap so I am trying to type while holding her. Hope I helped a bit though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:19 pm 

have you tried different kinds of bottles? different kinds of nipples? nipples that mimic the shape and behavior of the breast when feeding? playtex has some good ones, as does avent. different flow rates? lowest flow may be easiest.

have you tried giving her a bottle when she's in an infant seat, or sitting up in your lap... rather than when cradled in your arm/in positions she associates with mom breaking out the breast? giving her a bottle between feedings when she's not overly hungry, or starting off with a breast and trying to finish with a bottle (or vice versa)? have you tried feeding formula or expressed breastmilk with a medicine dropper or spoon? if she'll accept either of those, you might stick to feeding her that way for a few days, offering a bottle every now and decreasing the amount of time you offer the breast.

if you offer pacifiers, does she reject them? if you don't offer pacifiers, perhaps giving her one in moderation will help her get used to the idea of an artificial nipple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:23 pm 

Thanks, my little one is always on my lap when I'm typing too! I've heard of that before, having someone else give her a bottle and have tried but no one seems to have patience with her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:27 pm 

I tried the avent nipple first, and she really hated it so then I got the NUK nipple. I gave her that with a bottle that had water in it, and she just chews on it, is it possible she doesn't know she's suppose to suck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:02 pm 

She may not like water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:39 pm 

I suppose that could be the case, especially if she's had nothing but the breast since birth. I'd take the chewing as a positive -- she's experimenting and exploring, and at least you know she's open to it being in her mouth.

What's the flowrate on the NUK you're using? If it's slow and she really has to suck to get the fluid out, try dipping the nipple in expressed breastmilk before offering it to her (or moving to a faster flowrate) so she begins to associate it with food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:48 pm 

good idea, I've been using the slow flow, I'll try switching to medium then fast. thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:24 am 

Just to caution you...sometimes when you use a faster flow rate, the baby might start to expect the milk to flow easily...and not want to suck as hard as he/she has to on the breast. Maybe use the faster flow rate just until your baby realizes that it is food and then switch back to the slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:58 am 

good suggestion, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:40 am 

My daughter was completely breastfeed and wouldnt take a bottle. I worked parttime and would express milk for her but she would just play with the teat thankfully my job was supa flexible and I could feed her in between clients (I work in the homes of the elderly.) So this went on for months then at 10 months I tried her again and she would take around 20ml of formula and by 11 months she was completely on formula. Is there a set date you want her to be on formula not breast? I know my friend weaned her baby off breast before she got teeth.