Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:04 am 

Hi. My baby is 16 days old & I'm having lots of nursing problems. I went to a lactation consultant because of sore & cracked nipples & she helped me with that, but also told me that my baby isn't getting enough to eat at each feeding. That made me feel so inadequate! Now I'm feeding her as often as possible & pumping in between feedings & immediately after feedings to try & stimulate more milk production. So far I haven't seen any results. Also, at times throughout the day she's very sleepy & will only nurse about 5-8 minutes per side. But then I still feel "empty" afterwards- which makes me more scared about her not getting enough! I have had to resort to formula twice now, which upsets me but I feel she needs the nutrition. So, I guess I'm looking for moral support from anyone who has had similar problems & now has to supplement their breasfeeding with formula & also if anyone has tips for increasing milk supply. Thank you! :)
mjb
Grace Anne (7-2-04)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:28 pm 

I don't want to get you down or anything, but I had a similar problem with my little one. I tried and tried for about 3 weeks straight and had no luck. The more I tried (I did the same with him nursing then pumping what seemed to be like constantly) and my milk kept going down. People would tell me that I was too nervous and uptight, but after a while I got so used to it and relaxed, how could I be? When I started out, he wouldn't latch on, then I went to pumping too and the first few times I pumped I got about 2 oz out of each side, but from then on it was downhill. The more he nursed and I pumped, the less milk I got. Eventually by about the 3rd week I was completely dried up. I never leaked or had to use nursing pads or anything...that's how low my milk production was. I also saw a lactation consultant and she said the same stuff - that I was nervous and that the more I pumped and the more he nursed, the more I would get, but that didn't happen. I've read in books that people like me are rare, but that it does happen. I finally just stuck to formula cause I wanted him to be healthy. There were those people that gave me a hard time and had to put in their two cents, but I had a supportive pediatrician that helped me get over that with reassurance that my son was just as healthy as any breastfed baby.

I hope things work out for you. Just remember, if it doesn't work out and you can't, you are not a failure or anything - you can care about your daughter and want her to be healthy just as much as a breastfeeding mother. I hope you can get it working...hang in there. I didn't quit until my milk was completely gone and I had no choice. I'm sure things will work out better for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:23 pm 

hi there.i have a couple of friends who couldnt produce enough breast milk either,it was her first baby and really wanted to breast feed,the baby wasnt putting any weight on so she used formula and the result was the baby was happier,healthier,sleeping through the night and the mum happy,so dont feel guiltly at all you need to do what is best for you and the baby.good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:59 pm 

Hi there

I too had big problems with breastfeeding my little girl. She firstly took forever to nurse and she just wasn't getting enough from me to satisfy her, with the result that I was feeding her every hour.
I too went to a lactation consultant who couldn't help me , she says all looked fine and couldn't understand what the problem was.
Eventually I got mistitis in the one breast and my other just decided to stop producing milk.I was in such agony that I eventually had to take medication that dried any milk I had up.The guilt I felt after was really bad , I got really depressed about having to feed her formula but I eventually realised that I was giving my baby what she needed - enough food to sustain her and make her grow. I would still have loved to breastfeed her but not every woman is a natural milk factory.

I hope your problems get sorted out

Goodluck

Mom to Kaitlyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 1:33 pm 

Hi there.

How much support do you get with your baby?

When a first time mother tries to breastfeed, it can be very daunting. However, it can depend on the support she gets whilst getting ready to breastfeed.

I advise mothers that when they feel anxious just before a feed, they should let daddy take baby and calm him/her down. So it gives mum a chance to calm down too.

Suggestions:

- have a bath before feeding and relax. Remember it is the oxytocin and prolactin hormones that kick in for milk production. They are are produced when the body is relaxed. If you are tense, you produce adrenaline which stops this.

- give baby a bath before a feed so he/she is relaxed.

- do skin to skin before a feed.

-do not panic, if you do not produce a lot of milk, any amount helps baby's immune system.

Happy feeding!!!