Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:12 am 
A real touchy subject between the "ex" and I......

Our 6 year old son (lives with her, visits me on odd weekends) seems to pick up colds and flu far more easily than other kids. He had 31 days off school last year. Of course i get the blame every time he ends up with something but that's to be expected!

It seems that every time he gets a sniffle or shows signs of a cold or the beginnings of the flu he is kept indoors with the heater on and not allowed out to play or for that matter to school. Is this the right thing to do?

He is perfectly healthy, no issues at all apart from minor excema.

Ok, what is the best way to build a child's resistence to colds and flu? Something backed up by a physician's advice would be great, but all opinions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:05 pm 
i care for preschool aged children that bring home everything that goes around, they were always getting my daughter sick. I also suffered from excema for most of my life.

i did alot of research and found you can strengthen their immune system temendously with a vitamin and mineral rich diet.
i give my daughter a daily vitamin, and a tsp of flaxseed/saffloweroil daily(that helps get rid of the excema... so will fish 2x a week, the omega3 and 6's replenish the oils in the skin)
sometimes the fich is easier to get kids to eat, unless you mix the oil into something w.o him knwing it

i serve her friuts and veg with every meal, b/c when they get the 5 serving daily they get all the nutrients they need
*and when your shopping for friut and veg, you should try to by a variety of color, like not all green or red...

berries and darker fruits are richer in anioxidants too

it seems like alot, and my daughters father thinks im nuts, but shes 3 and she hasnt been sick at all, not once, in 2 years

your should buy Superimmunity for kids, by Leo Galland, it has everything youll every need to know according to eevery age's nutritional needs
hope it helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:25 pm 

Most people think you get colds from being out in the cold. In fact, quite the opposite is true...the reason we all seem to get sick in the winter is that viruses are festering indoors in the winter because that is where we are spending all of our time. Kids are most vulnerable because they have not built up an immunity lke adults have to most of the common viruses around.
Being outdoors is good, the fresh air is good especially if you have a stuffed up nose.
Kids also do not usually practice hygiene as well as adults and when at school or daycare come into contact with all kinds of viruses.
So making sure they wash their hands A LOT is a good idea, and of course as the previous post mentioned a healthy diet with lots of fruits and veggies, AND, a proper amount of sleep at night. All of these things together will help build a strong immune system.