Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: C-section
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:17 pm 

I am 29, and have multiple health problems requiring that I deliver by c-section. I've already had two, but am wondering if anyone else has any tips on reducing the pain afterward, especially with other small children. The others are 1 and 5. Thank You!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:48 pm 

I'm afraid all you can really do is take things easy. Get someone to help out with the older children if you can. If there's nobody to help then explain to the five year old that you are very sore at the moment and will need a little help, make him/her your special helper and promise a reward at the end. I had my first baby 3 months ago, he was induced two weeks early due to severe pre-eclempsia but i failed to progress after my waters were broken and had an emergency c-section after 12 hours labour. Afterwards they put me on morphine for 12 hours and then switched me to heavy pain killers which i started refusing after the third day when the pain lessened. I wasn't very active while i was in the hospital because my baby was in and out of special care when he developed breast milk jaundice and i stayed with him, so it wasn't until i got home a week after the birth that i realised how little i could do without causing myself pain. I started going for lots of walks around the block and gradually increased the length of them when i felt ready...this was vital because it helped my body get used to movement again. Three weeks after the birth all the pain was gone unless i did something stupid like squat down to pick something up or attempt to have sex.
Your real problem will be with the one year old who won't understand why you cant pick them up or play with them on the floor and all i can suggest there is encouraging lots of games played on the coffee table so you can join in and when you have someone to help, get them to put the one year old next to you on the lounge so you can give cuddles then. Also encourage the five year old to play with the one year old as much as possible to keep the little one distracted. As far as naps go for the one year old, why don't you try setting up a foam mattress or something on the lounge room floor so you're not lifting him/her in and out of the cot? My doctor told me not to lift anything heavier then the newborn until after my six week check-up so it's important that you find a routine that the one year old will be happy with until the six weeks are up. I suggest putting the new routine into practice before you have the baby so your children don't resent the new baby for the way things have changed.
Good luck
Emma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:22 pm 

I developed preclampsia (sp) 7 days before I was to deliver. It developed and got worse over night. So, I had to have an emergency c-section the next morning.

I was really only in pain for a week or so. I went back to work 4 days after I came home from the hospital. I would just recomend sending the kids to grandmas if possible, or if dad can take off a week or so. Then just get all the rest you can, and you should heal alot faster. The pain medications that they give you help out alot also.

It only sucked because I didn't have any energy at all. Walking from the couch to the sink felt like I had run a marathon. :)

Post subject: c section
PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:24 am 

I have an 18mon old and a 6mon old who were both born by c sections. What i found helpful for the pain was walking and deep breathing, i was in a hospital where i had to walk down 2 flights of stairs just to get fresh air. And people will say but oh no it hurts too much, yes it will at first but within 3 days I was fine. Just take it at your own pace and see how you feel, and let me know how it all went. GOODLUCK :)