Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:04 am 

Tonight, my 4 week old granddaughter got so mad when we put her in the carseat, that by the time I could get her out a few blocks down the road, she was so mad she turned purple. It really scared me. I've never seen a child so young throw such a temper tantrum. She has been getting mad when we put her in the carseat for the past two weeks. I can't imagine that a baby so young already knows to hate the carseat. I thought she was going to quit breathing or have a seizure, she turned so red. It scared me enough that I'm researching it on the internet. Does anyone have any advice to tell me about this? Am I just overly concerned? I raised three boys, and I never saw one of them get this mad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:38 am 

i personnally have never heard of a 4 week old throwing a fit, colic maybe but from what your saying it is the car seat. Does it hurt her? maybe try putting her in the seat when your in the house and carry her around like that. let us know what happens and what you find out. good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:07 pm 

Hi,

When my son was that age, he hated his carseat also. When we were in constant motion he would calm down and if we were lucky, he would fall asleep (he had colic), but as soon as we would come to a stop for a few minutes he would start to cry (unless he was in a deep sleep).
We found playing some calming music on the cd player in the car would relax him or even a lullaby cd.
Sometimes my husband and I would get so desperate that we would start singing.....anything......our national anthem, Take me out to the ballgame......any song we could think of...lol!

Every baby is so different, some babies are more difficult and sensitive to things, whereas some babies are so passive that nothing really seems to bother them.
This may be just the way your granddaughter is and this is perfectly normal behaviour for her.

Good luck :D

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:35 pm 

Thanks, guys...It's the general consensus from anyone I've asked that a 4 week old can know she hates her carseat enough to throw a fit. She's been a little better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:49 am 

i don't believe that a 4 week old baby can throw a fit. my son didn't like his carseat either at that age....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:22 pm 

NO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:50 pm 

My son has been throwing fits since he was only 5 months old. Personally, I have never seen a baby as young as 4 weeks old do it. But then again, every baby is different, and I wouldn't be too concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:31 pm 

I would guess that there is something bothering the baby. Too hot, not enough padding under the cover of the seat. Does the child wear anything to go out (i.e. shoes, coat, sweater, hat) that might be causing the discomfort.

Good Luck!

BabyBain

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:33 pm 

To answer your question simply ... no, it's not possible. Babies that age only know the following:

I'm uncomfortable (cold, hot, hurt, sick, wet diaper, etc.)
I'm hungry
I'm tired
I'm lonely (you could argue against even this one)

A baby isn't sophisticated enough for a true tantrum for a LONG time after four weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 2:19 am 

What do you consider throwing a fit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:57 am 

IMO...I think a 4 week old baby is expressing their need for someone to comfort them...such as Steve said...I am lonely...I want to be held and not strapped into this contraption!!!

Best of luck with this since they will be in a car seat for quite a while!! Perhpas giving them a favorite toy or some other kind of distraction would help.

Hugs,

Beth

Post subject: just a thought
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:54 am 
Site Admin

Folks, this thread is OLD. The original poster never comes back and the 'four week old' is at least 11 months old now. :-)

J.T..
The Moderator