Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Car seat question
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:53 am 

When did anyone start facing their child's car seat forward? When I first installed my rear facing one and went to have the installation inspected, the inspector told me that most parents turn them around too soon. That children are much safer to remain rear facing as long as possible. I know the recommendation is 20 lbs. and one year, but has anyone let it go longer than that?
Thanks.
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:32 pm 

Hi,

I have the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1 carseat with the infant, toddler, and booster seat all in one.
The manufacturer's intructiions for my seat say if your child is over 1 yr and 22 lbs, they may ride rear-facing if they are comfortable or forward-facing.
I switched my son to forward facing at about a year old because he wasn't comfortable facing the rear of the car......also he is quite tall and his legs were touching the rear seat. I also felt better because I could see him and he enjoyed it more because he could watch me and look out the windows.

I guess it really is what you and your child are comfortable with and as along as you follow the guidelines/manufacturer's intructions for your seat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:49 pm 

The carseat my dd is in now says it can remain rear facing until 30lbs. We faced her forward around 16mos but she was only 18lbs though. She didn't hit the 20lb mark until close to her 2nd bday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:55 pm 

With my son, he was well over 20 pounds by the time he was 8 months old, and we couldn't keep him in the rear facing seat any more. he could already squirm out of it and get the belts wrapped around his neck. So the safest way was to put him in a new forward facing car seat. But that's different because my son was so big.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:27 pm 

My son was tall too before he was a year. His little lefs would be up againest the back of the seat. But my doctor told me to wait until he was a year anyway. He said the longer the safer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:48 pm 

My daughter was 16-months-old before we turned her around, but at that point she was still only 19.5 lbs. She's always been petite. At that point, her legs were kind of cramped and we just went ahead and did it. My son, on the other hand, shouldn't have any problem with that 20 lb. requirement before he's 1 year old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:32 pm 

Payton shouldn't either. She's five months and 15 pounds. And now we are just starting food and this week juice.