Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: carseat question
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:20 pm 

Okay, so I just got back from Justin's 6 month doctor's appointment (he's doing great, although I do hate when he has to get those dumb shots :cry: )

I have a questions about infant car seats. At the appointment, Justin was just shy (.2 ounces) of 20 pounds and 1/8 of an inch shy of 28 inches (that's my big boy). My infant car seat only goes up to 20 pounds. After that I have 2 carseat-booster seats. But, the doc said he needs to be rear facing until he's a year old. I did not think that my son would reach 20 pounds at 6 months old. so, I had only registered for and received an infant car seat w/ an extra base and 2 of the booster/carseats. Does anybody know if you can put those carseat/booster seats rear facing? Am I going to have to buy another car seat? This is getting expensive!

On an exiciting note, Justin starting doing some fun stuff this week. He can now stand up holding onto something (well, for a few seconds anyway, then he plops down) and he has REALLY started to babble more, he now says mamama and dadada and babababa and nananana. It is absolutely adorable! He gets so excited because we make such a big deal about it.

Thanks for any advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:55 pm 

There are carseats you can buy that are designed to be used forwards or backwards. We have one of them and we love it. It's the Evenflo Victory 5. I think the Evenflo Triumph is similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:35 pm 

Hmmm not sure about the car seats.
Question for you. Is Justin advanced for his age? Did the doctor mention? Cause Payton is about the same age and she really hasn't hit any milestones. Well, the other day she did drink from her cup but she hasn't done it since so it's not like she does it all the time now. It may have been a freak thing. I gave her the boter biscuits cause someone just said it helped there baby get through dinner and she can't hold it up herself. I would have been able to get through dinner if I sat and held it for her. Samething with the fruit net. She's not saying any words. I mean she babbles but no momma or dadda. Actually for the most part she does rasberries.
Ugh my husband is so lucky. He just set the house alarm off after I had just put both babies to bed. He's lucky they didn't wake up. I may have killed him. LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:11 pm 

jenna103 wrote:
Hmmm not sure about the car seats.
Question for you. Is Justin advanced for his age? Did the doctor mention? Cause Payton is about the same age and she really hasn't hit any milestones. Well, the other day she did drink from her cup but she hasn't done it since so it's not like she does it all the time now. It may have been a freak thing. I gave her the boter biscuits cause someone just said it helped there baby get through dinner and she can't hold it up herself. I would have been able to get through dinner if I sat and held it for her. Samething with the fruit net. She's not saying any words. I mean she babbles but no momma or dadda. Actually for the most part she does rasberries.

None of those things are the least bit unusual for a six-month-old. I was involved in the biter biscuit conversation in the other thread. Six months is even a bit young for them, not due to the food itself, but being able to feed herself. Jackson didn't start that until he was seven months or so, if I'm not mistaken. Kids do stuff at different speeds. Also, don't worry about the talking. Six months is WAY WAY WAY early to be saying anything, even mamma and dadda. If your son did that at six months, he's unusual. Hannah was still in the babbling phase at that age and she's a very advanced talker .. always has been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:28 pm 

I don't want to check Mikey's book cause I don't want it to seem like I am comparing them but I thought he had hit some milestones by now.
Well, I guess eh did hit a little milestone. Whenever I say something to her she shakes her head no. That's adavnced. I figured I wouldn't get that until she was 15. LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:01 pm 

We have a carseat that is for rear and forward facing, Graco Comfort Sport. Our infant carseat limit was 20lbs and 26in. So it's rear facing until he's a year. However many of these carseats can be a pain in the ???(butt) because you can't adjust the straps because its against the backseat. So then your child has to have the same amount of clothing unless your clever enough to figure out how to adjust it.
jenna103-My ds is a little older than you dd and isn't crawling/sitting or anything major, but to me it's a lot because compared to his sister who was a preemie he's developing fast. He's trying to crawl but hasn't got it figured out yet. He can hold the biscuits, but he's not totally cordinated with them yet. I think a lot of the smaller milestones occur between 6-9mos. and most others up to 15mos. It's hard not to compare but with infants there is such a wide range for development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:14 pm 

Well, I don't think Justin is advanced. He isn't crawling or anything. He just started to sit up without support for longer (I would say like maybe 2-3 minutes before he topples to the side). He also just started to bear weight on his legs like 3 days ago. Up until then, his legs would just buckle. He wouldn't even enjoy standing on my lap. And he rolled over right about the normal age (belly to back at almost 4 months, back to belly at 5 months). He has just always been a talker, right from the day he was born (although then he used to just kind of grunt, ha ha). Then he moved onto vowels and squealing. Now he is doing the babble thing (mamama, dadada, bababa, nanana, gagaga, etc.) I think that kids definitely develop differently and in different ways. We have friends whose son was crawling at 6 months and was on his feet cruising by 7 months (can you believe that?) but rarely makes a sound. Meanwhile, at 6 months I JUST started to get my son to bear any kind of weight on his legs yet he doesn't shut up, ha ha.

As far as the car seat thing goes, I thought I would have to buy more car seats. darn! It is tough b/c we need one for both of our cars, so it gets super expensive. I just never thought he would be so big so early. But it is both his height and weight (90% for both), so the doc says it's okay. My husband is 6'2" and my brother is 6'3", so height is on both sides.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:02 am 

Well, she doesn't really sit at all without being propped but she does stand if I hold her hands. She will stand for a while actually. So I think that is good. But she doesn't turn over. She will go from belly to back but not back to belly. She does squeal. But does she, she gets a high enough pitch that will hurt your ears. LOL!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:22 pm 

My son is 6 mo. and he can't hold his own food net thing( I don't know what to call it) either. I have to hold it for him the whole time. He has just started to try and put his binkie back in his mouth if it falls out. He also walks while we are holding his hands(he has been supporting himself on his legs for about 3 weeks) but he doesn't even try to crawl, he just rolls everywhere! I read somewhere that the milestones around 6 months can be delayed as much as 3 months and that is normal. You are right, there is a very wide age range...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:36 pm 

TOday she is being so mushy with these little puppy dog eyes but being very content. She slept in the stroller at the mall. That was a first. She was either just sitting in the car sleep or sleeping in it at lunch and now we are home she is still in her car seat in front of the tv. Hmmm not sure what happened but I am totally not complaining.
The binky she can get in her mouth. She's been doing that about four weeks. It's funny though cause she looks like a drunk person does when they are trying to act like they have cordination. She holds the binks but it's facing down and then she nudges it up with her nose with her mouth open so then some how it just drops into her mouth.