Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Changing pad restraints
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:40 pm 

Does anyone know of a baby changing pad that will effectively keep the squriming baby from flipping over while you are changing him? The only changing pad I have ever found (the one we use) that has any kind of restraint is this contoured pad that has a buckle that goes around his chest, but the buckle doesn't really do much except provide a little resistance in the event he tries to throw himself over the side of the pad. But he can still turn over into a crawling position. Our baby is impossible to change with just two arms sometimes. He does the super-twist trying to squirm over onto his tummy, which can be a nightmare when he has really messy poopy diapers and you're changing him all by yourself. (How do parents do this?)

I've searched all over the internet and I cannot find what I need. I wish there was a pad very much like the one we have but with a couple of velcro straps to hold his little arms down, which would keep him from flipping over with his upper body at least. It would also keep him from grabbing everything in sight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 6:55 pm 

Hi,

As far as I know there are only the type of change pads/tables you mentioned.....we also had the one with the strap that goes across the chest.
My son was not too squirmy when he was really young but as he got a little older, 4 or 5 months, he became very difficult. You didn't mention how old your son was.
It's tough, and the only thing that seemed to help was to distract him with something, give him something he normally doesn't get to hold or see to occupy him with or if you get really desparate starting singing a funny song or something that will catch his attention for a minute....or make some funny faces just long enough to get the diaper off and clean his bum :D

Good luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:19 am 

He is just over 10 months (http://foresthaviland.com) and now that he's an active crawler he exercises the First Amendment in a zealous way whenever he is made to lie on his back, and twists into the most amazing Yoga positions trying to flip into a crawling position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:30 pm 

My son was the same way at that age...he would also cry and scream and do anything he could not to lay down. Once he got older we started using the pull-ups when he had just a wet diaper. That made life soooo much easier. The only time I laid him down was if he had a bowel movement and yes, it can become a very messy situation......we started doing it on the floor.

Just forget about the change table, bed etc. anything where he could fall off of and just do it right on the floor on a pad or old towel.
Like said before give him something to distract him with. We used to give my son my husband's cell to hold while closely monitoring him. My hubby would lock it so Alex could not dial out but he could still press the buttons. It worked for us.