Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:22 am 

My name is Miriam and in May of 2004 I lost my first child to a condition called Vasa Previa. This condition is estimated to occur in 1/2000-5000 births. If undiagnosed, the mortality rate can be as high as 95%. You can check for this condition through an ultrasound machine by looking for the location of the placenta. If the placenta is located in the lower part of the uterus, you need to check to see if the umbilical cord runs in the birth canal and if the connection from the umbilical cord to the placenta is secure. It is currently not standard procedure to check for this, so you will probably have to ask for it. My husband and I have started a non-profit organization to raise awareness about this condition. You can visit our website at www.vpfu.org for more information. Please be checked for this because if you don't, you may lose your baby like I did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:07 pm 

If you don't mind me asking, how far along were you when you lost your baby? I don't even get my ultrasound until between 18-20 weeks. I know many people get early ultrasounds and was wondering if this condition will take its course early on or later like after the 20 week ultrasound. Thanks for clarifying!! And sorry about your baby :(

Post subject: Vasa Previa
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:20 am 

Hello, I am Miriam's husband. To answer your first question, 8-days away from full-term. One of the tragedies of Vasa Previa is the fact that typically, the baby has a perfectly "healthy" pregnancy, showing no signs of distress, then dies with the on-set of labor or the rupturing of the membranes. For more details of my wife's experience, go to http://www.vpfu.org and click on "Elle's Story".
Now, for your second question. Vasa Previa can usually be detected as early as 16 weeks. Like Miriam said, if you want more information, visit the web site, or email us at info@vpfu.org. Also, if you know of anyone that has experienced Vasa Previa, we would love to be in contact with them!
Bryce.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:22 pm 

I'm having my ultasound done tommorrow I will have them check for that thank you for the post..mandy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:14 am 

Hi, ladies! My wife and i are waiting for a son :) she is at bed rest now. Can you advice some to-become-parents courses or exercises for her to avoid complications during delivery? Thank you very much.