Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:36 pm 

I recently found out I was pregnant and was all together happy. However, after talking to my mother she told me her horrible story about how bad the child birth pain really is. I know its going to be painful but i worry about this day and night, it has almost made me regret getting pregnant in the first place. she said it was the most painful thing i could ever concieve of and if i took all the pain anyone has ever experienced and put it together it dosen't compare :shock: . Now is there any advice anyone has to help me get out of this complete fear and anxiety driven problem my mother has told me or am i simply out of luck????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:18 am 

Ok, first of all DON'T LISTEN TO ANY STORIES. Everyone will just try to scare you and there's no need for that. This should be the best time in your life. I know that people just want to share their stories, good or bad, and they mean well but it doesn't always help a first time mom. I used to watch all those materinty shows when I was pregnant, and by the end of the pregnancy I was scared to death. There was no need. Yes, the contractions hurt, they were like really really bad cramps, but then they gave me the epidural and I was fine. I had double contractions with my daughter so I felt a little bit, so they came and readjusted the dose. It was fine, really. When they were telling me to push I was but it didn't feel like I was. I couldn't feel a thing. The only thing I did feel was when her head and shoulders came out, it stung a little, that's all. Please don't worry. Enjoy your pregnancy and remember any pain that you may experience is TOTALLY WORTH IT. After you see that baby, you'll forget everything else. :D Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:20 am 

I have 2 boys one is 8 and the other is 2. The pain is bad but if you remain calm and don't over react. It will not be that bad. It probally will do you good to take lamaze and learn breathing stradeges. It is also good to have a support person with you. But once you push the baby out and you look at your beautiful baby you won't half way remember the pain. If it was all that bad I would not be pregant with my third. Good Luck! If you need someone to talk to email me. Everyone labor is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:05 pm 

hi there.i have 2 children aged 2 and a half and the other 6 months,it is true about everybirth is diffrent.i had an epidural with my first(highly recommended if you hate pain)as with caleb i had him only using gas and air.try not to worry too much ok because there is drugs available if you need them and also i truelly believe if you have a great support person it really helps and dont listen to those stories my aunt did the same with her horror stories so i no where your comming from.good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:55 am 

I have had 4 babies. By the 4th one I knew what was going on so I wasn't at all scared this made the whole process SO easy. I know this will sound very hard to do but RELAX. It is so important. The next time you are feeling even a little uncomfortable try it. Just breathe and relax and after you practice this you'll see you can just melt the discomfort away. It is the same with childbirth just relax and breathe. Educate yourself to all of your options. Look into Doula's. They mother the mother. I had no drugs with my deliveries. Look at my site under Resources. There are listings nation wide for all childbirth educators. You can look up the one closest to your location or look at several of them. There are many listed who have great informative web sites. Also remember if it was that bad women would not continue having babies. We would all be "only one child" households. :D
I am very happy for you! Having a baby is the most wonderful experience in the world!

http://www.WelcomeBaby.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:51 am 

Hi.

I think it is best to educate you, so that you have some understanding of the physiology of labour.

We have many experiences and tales to tell you, however, you are unique. Birth experience of others whether good or bad, will not eliminate your fears.

First of all labour is psychological. Everything starts from your brain. Contractions and dilation are hormonal.

CONTRACTIONS: a hormone called OXYTOCIN is secreted from the pituitary gland, this starts your contractions off. This is what causes the uterine muscles to contract and retract.

DILATION: a hormone called PROSTAGLANDIN is secreted to stimulate the cervix for dilation.

These two hormones work together as a team to help you contract, with the intention of delivery. However, the contractions do get STRONGER, LONGER MORE FREQUENT and INTENSE.

With your contractions getting stronger, longer and more intense, is a good sign that you are dilating well. The more intense they are, the more close you come to delivery. This is how you have to read the signs.
And naturally, you want continuous progress so that the labour is not so long.

ADRENALINE is a hormone which is secreted most of the time in labour. This hormone can actually STOP or SLOW DOWN contractions. That is why many women end up with interventions.

By understanding your body and how it works in labour, you have a better chance of enduring the contractions. And with the help of mum too.

I hope this helps.[/i]

Post subject: Don't regret...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:10 pm 

Of course childbirth is painful. But I highly advise you take a birthing class, or lamaze, with a coach. Someone who you feel completely comfortable and open around. There are SO many massages, breathing techniques, and relaxation methods that REALLY do help a lot. Think positive! You will be SOOOOOOOO happy when you hold that baby in your arms, the pain will for sure be worth it. Don't feel like you have to go without medication either- research every drug and talk about your options with your doctor in case your pain tolerance just isn't high enough :) Good luck!
--Allie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:36 am 

It was mentioned in one of the previous posts about DOULA'S. That they 'mother the mother'. All women should have someone with them, when in labour. Someone who understands the length of time, it will take before baby is delivered.

If you can prepare properly, thorugh massage etc, to keep you calm. Then you have a greater chance of getting through the labour.

It is about focussing solely on your breathing and tuning into yourself. There has to be a particular mindset of peace and control, when in labour, with the support of someone who is there to keep you encouraged.

Just like a marathon, you may be running with others, but you are really on your own. However, you want to know that you have the support and help when needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:27 pm 

I have 2 children. 3 yr old and a 2 month old. I had both natural and without pain killers. No-one ever said child birth is easy and painless. But now these days there are so many options to choose from for pain.
I chose none. Everyone is different. And the severity differs from person to person. Never listen to horror stories. Over exaggeration!!!!!!!! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:51 pm 

You will be her one day LOL. You will be trying to scare some poor pregnant lady one day, I promise. But it isn't that bad. And even if you do have a bad experience, it will be all worth it in the end when you are holding your precious baby. I want you to read my birth story. It is the truth, no editing, no sugar coating. It is at http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/b/brucejoe/ I think either way, if you go into this thinking negative thoughts, you will not have a good experience. ((hugs)) You will do great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:52 am 

hi , i had my daughter 10 months ago and im only22 so mabey my body handled it better but truthfully i didnt find labor to be as bad as i thought it would be . i went natural and did not take any drugs, and labor was farely quick because if you dont take anydrugs or use an epidural it doesent take as longto push because you have more control, i was only pushing for 14 minutes, (my friend beth had an epidural 2 weeks ago during her labor and pushed for five hours and they had to assit with suction), the contractions felt like bad cramps from your period but if you can use a whirlpool tub(check to see if your hospital has them)it helped me alot , so if you think you might want to go natural i would do it, being able to be alert(still tierd but not out of it)and actully remember what happend right after i deliveerd was wonderful , i know some woman who use drugs to assist with the pain have a hard time remembering the time after.

Post subject: labor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:58 am 
hi. i need help! :? my due date is in 2 days but im starting to get cramps.
wat is happening???????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:58 am 

I have 2 children. When I told people I was pregnant they told me it was painful and they were right however it is a pain that is different to any pain I have felt before and once the baby is born that pain is gone. With my first birth from the first regular contraction to his delivery it took 4.5 hours and I didnt have pain relief apart from gas and air and it took my mind of the pain. With my girl the labour was an hour and I felt nothing. All I can say is I think breathing helps and focusing on the birth. Also support is a great thing. Dont let anyone scare you it is a wonderful experience and once you hold that baby in your arms its all worth while. Plus there are lots of different pain relief available.