Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: constipated!!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:24 am 
poor baby was constipated tonight, when she finally did go, it was like, playdough consistency,... is this something that maybe i should call her doc about today?> or waiot till her 2 month on march 11?

melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:46 am 
It would not hurt to give the doctor a call because he might have a suggestion of something to give her like juice, but you don't want to give her anything like that unless the doc reccommends it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:14 am 

I would see how it goes the next day or so. If you notice that she seems to be really straining to go or goes a few days without a bm, and when she does go it's really hard......like little pellets, then I would definitely call the doc. otherwise I would just see how it goes.

I have heard giving no more than 2oz. a day of cooled boiled water after her bottles helps with constipation. This is what I was told by the public health nurse. But you definitely don't want to give her more than 2 oz. because you don't want her to fill up on something other than her formula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:16 am 

Well, it was good that she went. I would see how she does over the next few days. She doesn't have to go everyday. Did you change anything in her diet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:41 pm 
well when i seen her doc, she told me to go ahead and give her a 2 ounce bottle with some rice cereal in it at night and a 2 ounce formula bottle, mainly because we were going through formula like water, she was drinking 6 ounce bottles, so that was the change in her diet. i talked to her doc, and she said that at about the mid afternoon area feed her a 4 ounce formula bottle, and then a 2 ounce water bottle, she said to pick a time like 2 or 3, and keep it there, and wake her if i have to, she said that should help out with the constipation. hopefully it will!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:47 pm 
The doctor told you to give her rice cereal at her young age? I would figure that would be what would cause the constipation since at 1 month their bowels aren't ready for
that.
That is why thy say to wait until 4 to 6 months to start rice ceral and solids http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp
But if the doctor told you to do it, who am I to say different :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:10 am 

Krissi I was thinking the same exact thing when I was reading it. That's a lot fo rice every day for a baby that little. Payton is six months and I can't give her rice every day. She'll never poop again. I'm even surprised they said water at that age. two ounces no less. My doctor is not one for water. He's not even one for putting cereal in the bottle. When it was time for cereal he said on the spoon not in the bottle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:01 pm 
your guess is as good as mine as to why she said to give her cereal... i asked my mom, she said that just sounded wrong, i think on monday im gonna call a few other pediatricians and get some opinions.. cuz if she starts on cereal.. she is gonna be even more of a chunk, and i dont thikn she is ready for it, youd think we would take awya the thing that makes her constipated, instead of adding something else to her diet.. mykenzi doesnt appear to like the cereal i give it to her, and she makes faces and spits it out and all kinds of stuff, i gave her a little bit of water today, she seemed to like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:35 pm 

Most doctors are againest it at such young an age UNLESS they have acid reflux. Then it helps them keep the formula down. Your mom doesn't agree with the doctor either? HOw did you start with your pediatrician? Did someone refer the group? Mine came highly recommended but then again I used to go there. He just retured but now his son's are there and they are just like him so I love it. It's about 30 minutes away from here but I don't care. Totally worth the trip. I do think if you give her cereal now she will...........ugh how do I say this without be rude cause believe me I am not trying to be. But I think her appetiete will increase even more and she will eat more. If she's only a month but eating what a six month old eats then what is she going to eat when she's 6 months? Know what I mean? I am certain it's the rice cereal that's constipating her. I only give Payton rice cereal for dinner when she had a really good poop that day. If she didn't have a poop that day or she had a hard small one then I give her oatmeal.
Keep in mind though Melissa you have to do with what you feel comfortable doing. I don't want to go againest your doctor cause by far I am not one. I am just surprised that's all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:44 pm 
well see, i agree with you, if she already has a 6 month old appetite, then what is she gonna do when she IS 6 months old? she'll be eating steak and potatoes with mommy! LMAO! sad to say, i had to find a doc that would take the insurance i have. and there are only 5 of those in my area.. this is another reason y im totoally pissed at her father! when we were togther we all had really go insurance, and since he left and i was to do this on my own, i wound up going to the FIA office to apply for insurance.. so i got what they gave me. i got some papers in the mail so that i can change it if i want, i just have to get aorund to picking a group. my mom dont agree, and i kind of dont, i mean yeah, its nice to give her something and have her get a ncie full belly, but dang, she is gonna be 6 months old and weigh 100 pounds f we keep going at this rate! she popped today! yay, we got a 2 days in a row stretch going on! she also slept good last night, went to bed at 10:30, up at 2, ate 2 ounces, up at 4 cuz she was soaked! and she ate another 2 ounces, and then was back to sleep till 11 am! mommy got good sleep tonight! yay! :-D

payton dont like to b on her belly? (read that in the other thread) mykenzi hates being on her back the only way she will lay on her back is if she can look at her mobile, or her fishie tank.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:22 pm 

the thought of giving cereal at that age doesn't sit well with me either, and if i were in your shoes, i wouldn't go that route (unless there was reflux). i think the cons outweigh the pros. imo, constipation's the least of it, and i think you're running the risk of worse intestinal blockages, and food allergies later in her life... amongst other things. also, cereal in a bottle presents a serious choking hazard.

another thing that doesn't sit well with me is the TIME you've been told to give the cereal. the fact her doc wants it given at night makes me think he/she buys into the BS about it helping a baby sleep through the night (or for longer periods at night) + is more concerned with that than anything else... which is tres uncool. is mykenzi's doc a pediatrician or a general practitioner?

oops. i hope those two paragraphs didn't make me sound really word-that-rhymes-with-witchy, and i hope you know i'm not attacking you :*

anyway... constipation's been a recurring problem for my son since he was a month old. i usually give 2oz water 2x a day when i see his bms are becoming thicker + more difficult to pass. if he hasn't had a bm in 24+ hours, i do the thermometer trick... and if THAT doesn't work, i give him a 4oz bottle (juice + water, 1:1 dilution). if he hits 36hrs, i break out the big guns and give a 2oz bottle (juice, undiluted). It works for us and doesn't affect his formula intake, but ymmv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:29 pm 

oops, i should have reloaded the thread before i hit 'post' because it took me 90 mins to type that and it's a moot point now :P

what's FIA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:54 pm 

Yeah, I agree with the other moms about giving cereal at such a young age, and in a bottle. We started Alex at 4 mnths because he was drinking 8 8oz bottles a day...it was just crazy.
But you could always get a second opinion from another doctor.
Also, rice is considered a binding food, because when my son was sick with diarrhea, we were told to give him rice and apples. So it's probably like the others mentioned, the rice cereal that is constipating her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:02 pm 
FIA is the family independance agency, for things like food stamps and cash grants, and insurance and stuff.. ill post more in a little while, baby is waking up, and is gonna be hungry :):)
thanku for all thr replies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:40 pm 

These doctors are all crazy sometimes. Nikki when payton was costipated I was told to give her apple jouce and apples cause of the amount of fiber they have. Meanwhile you were told the opposite. Wonder why parenting is so confusing. The doctors all have different thoughts. Although it seems none of us agree with Melisa's doctor. Sorry melisa. :? I did hear cereal in the bottle could cause choking too.