Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: crying in the playpen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:37 pm 

I am babysitting an adorable 8 month old boy (i've had him for 4 months)
My problem is setting him down. He hates it!!!! Especially the playpen. I can distract him sometimes if he's in the swing or exersaucer but he just absolutely HATES the playpen. His parents let him sleep in the playpen in their room (i don't think he's ever slept in his crib in his room) and he sleeps all night. But at my house before i've even put him all the way in the playpen he'll start screaming bloody murder. I'm not trying to make him sleep in it -I just use it as somewhere to play when I can't hold him or have to run to the bathroom or something. You would think he would rather be in the playpen then strapped into the swing- I mean at least he can crawl around and play with toys and even stand up and look over the rails. What do I do?! My kids never minded being in the playpen or crib. He always screams when I walk away or leave the room but when he's in the playpen he screams no matter what! It doesn't matter if I'm 6" or 6' away. He'd probably scream if I were in it with him. Any one have any suggestions? PLEASE!!!!!! by the way the only time he stops crying is if I hand him a bowl of fruit puffs but when they are gone he starts crying again. I've tried leaving the room to see if he's just trying to play me (as soon as I pick him up he's happy as can be) I can't hold him all the time! Is this a normal phase or is he spoiled?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:04 pm 

Hi,

Is he crawling yet? Mabye you could cordon of an area of your house/apt and put a blanket down for him with some toys that way he doesn't feel "trapped" in the playpen.
You should ask his parents if he acts this way with them. Find out if they put him in the playpen to "play".
I got my son used to his playpen early on so that he would be comfortable playing in it while I cooked dinner, etc.
Once my son started walking he didn't want to be in the playpen anymore.....I just had to wait until he had his nap to get things done.

Make sure your place is baby-proofed and let him crawl around watching you if that will keep him quiet.
Not sure what else to suggest...good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 3:51 pm 

I'm betting the parents only put him in the playpen to sleep so he thinks you're trying to put him down to sleep.
Have you tried putting him in a highchair near you when you are doing something in the kitchen or wherever? My dtr. would cry to be picked up every time I tried to cook dinner, do the dishes, whatever in the kitchen. I tried putting her in her highchair beside me when I cooked dinner and she was very content-maybe because she could see everything I was doing.
I suggest taking him into the bathroom with you and putting him on the floor in front of you. Or if the highchair is on wheels and it works-put him in it and haul it in there too! Seems like alot of work, but if it stops the screams...
Or it could just be that you haven't had him long enough yet for him to really feel comfortable.
GOOD LUCK!
Terri