Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:47 pm 

This is odd, and I am concerned. Our DD has NEVER been a good sleeper. She rocks herself to sleep, and wakes and rocks herself back to sleep many times in the night, sometimes for 45 min.! We were giving her a bottle to go back to sleep once or twice in the night. Now, suddenly, this past week, 6 days in a row now, she is sleeping straight through the night, not rocking, or waking for a bottle. She has been sleeping from 8:30/9 ish p.m. till 11:30-am, 12-12:30 noon! And she's not drinking her bottle in the night. She is awaking slowly and calls MaMa as she's awaking, but not sitting up and rocking like she used to do, and then yell to me. She is not having fevers or anything, and lays around for about 1/2 hour when she does finally awake, and acts perfectly normal after this, all day (no nap now that sleeping so late) :?: ............anyone ever heard of this? Should I be concerned? All help appreciated! K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:31 am 

She might just be growing and needs her sleep!! My sister's son did that where he would wake up a couple times and then sleep for long periods of time. I am pretty sure it is normal!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:20 pm 

Hi,

Considering the changes in her sleep patterns and sleep behaviour, etc have happened so quickly are now dramatically different than previously, I would mention it to her doctor.
11:30-12:00 is very late to sleep and when is she having her breakfast, lunch, etc?
You should try to get her back into a normal schedule.........wake her up t between 7:30-8:30 so she is getting between 11-12 hrs a night, and then hopefully she will be tired enough after lunch to have a nap for 1-2 hrs.

My son just turned two last month and his schedule is: he goes to bed around 8-8:30 pm, wakes up around 7:30am, has breakfast at 8am,
lunch around 12-12:30pm, nap from 1-3 pm, and I never let him sleep past 3:30pm, otherwise he won't want to go to bed until very late.
Obviously, there are days when we can't stick to the schedule exactly, but we are basically doing this routine everyday and he is really benefitting from it.

I'm not saying this is the routine you should follow, but it's just a guildeline that you may or may not want to follow. Every child is different and will therefore have different sleep patterns.
A great book to pick up from the library or store is :

[/b]Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Marc Weissbluth, MD

Good luck :D

Post subject: To Nikki
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:30 pm 

Hi Nikki, sort of sounds like the schedule our DD used to be on, the one you are presently doing. Isn't this odd? Ok, I will mention it to Dr. Everyone keeps saying, "so let her sleep", but I fear it could be something else? I am hypothyroid for example.........thanks for you input Nikki! Keira