Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dialation of Cervix
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:38 pm 

Help Please - I am currently 36 weeks pregnant. I am scared out of my you know what as far as the actual birth. I am starting to hear some horrible horror stories in regards to labor. However, the big question on my mind now is when the doctor checks for dialation of the cervix (I belive it will be at my 37 week appointment) what happens? I have heard that it hurts horrible and it feels like they put their whole hand/arm up in the cervix, is this true?

Thanks!

Post subject: DF
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:33 pm 

It isn't that bad. They will just put some KY jelly on there fingers and put a good portion of there hand on your vagina. They may have there hand in there for a minute or two. It's that bad I promise.

Post subject: Don't worry!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:20 pm 

I've had 3 babies and haven't had a problem yet!

When they check dilation it doesn't hurt at all in my opinion.

The only thing that hurts is PITOCIN. BEWARE OF PITOCIN!!!

Post subject: Not bad at all......
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:40 pm 

Being "checked" is no worse than having a yearly well woman exam. It's easier if you can try to relax and think of something else while the doc is doing it. I tensed up and it was 'uncomfortable", but not painful. You'll do great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:23 pm 

being "checked" is not bad at all! Just relax, it's just like an anual exam. You will be fine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:18 pm 

It's not that bad. It's a little uncomfortable like everyone said, but not down right painful! Honey, an epidural is your best friend...if you get one of those it's smooth sailing!!!!!!!!! Pit drips suck if you're not on an epidural, the other mom's are right. Be aware of those things, if they put you on one, tell them you want your Epidural. If you choose to do it naturally, I give you utmost respect..you're braver than I am!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:39 pm 

I have had 4 kids & each has been different as far as the labour goes.
My first was C-section. I have never had an epdurial (?) as I am terrified of them. As far as the doc. checking the cervix it is just like a pap smear maybe a bit more unpleasent. Giving birth is an unbelievable experience. Holding your baby in your arms after makes everything worth while. And I found having your partner or your Mother or Sister or Any one close to you with in the labour ward helps so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:29 am 

Being checked didn't hurt much, that's the least of your worries! LOL Not to scare you or anything! :) Seriously though, the pitocin that they are mentioning will make your labor faster & more intense if they use it. In my opinion, you will like to have an epidural whether they use pitocin or not, but esp. if they do use it! The Dr. should be checking your cervix in the office probably by your next week visit & there's no way around it, as that will let you know if labor is starting, progressing, etc...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:47 am 

For me it hurt. It was nothing like a pap. However, there were things that hurt a heck of a lot more than that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:55 pm 
My doctor would only check if you were 40 weeks or more. He said there was no need to put a woman through that if it wasn't neccesary. I guess I didn't miss out on much from what I've read here. :) I did get checked when I was in labor and it wasn't that bad, just relax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:09 am 

i just had my first baby 16 days ago & the first time i was checked at the hospital i was 4 cm & 100% effaced- i would describe it as "uncomfortable" but not painful. my advice though is GET THE DRUGS. in this day & age there is no need to be a hero & go natural. i got an epidural my hospital calls "paradise" & it worked like a charm! :lol: good luck!
mjb