Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:39 pm 
Hi,
It is my first child and I am due beginning of July.
Since I am and older first time mother I fear that I will have a
cesarian anyway - just looking at the statistic seem like
doctors usually just push cesarian at this age.

anyway... I am thinking about taking birthing classes but
if I was to have cesarian - isn't it a waist of time and money?

I am trying to make sense out of it. Of course I have nobody to ask besides you because asking those people at those places will make no sense since they will give me self serving advice.

What is your take?

Also how much the average classes cost. and I have reserached that there are few session and many session within different offers.
would you think shorter sessions are better or more session is better.

thanks for any advice

Beatrice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:37 pm 
I thought most hospitals offered the classes for free. I would check at the hospital to make sure. I am military so I know the classes are free for me. I did not take them though everyone told me too. If you have the time and the classes are free I say go ahead and take them. I am sure they have alot of great info on vaginal births as well as c-sections

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:11 pm 

I was a first time mother at 38 yrs. old, 18 months ago. I'm pregnant with my second now. I didn't take any birthing classes and afterward I didn't end up wishing I had. I read a couple of books about pregnancy and childbirth during my pregnancy and felt prepared enough. I don't think you can ever be totally prepared the first time anyhow. I think it's just a personal choice.
By the way, I had my child vaginally. My doctor never gave me any indication he thought I'd need to go C-section.
Terri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:00 pm 
Thank you both for your comments Terri and Crissimace,
that helps a lot.

I guess that is true, nothing can really prepare for it.

My classes would not be free - it is some 300 dollars to spent and if I would end up with C than this seem a pure waste,

and also I don't know how can they prepare for natural birth either, maby I should do what You did Krissimace, just read a lot of books.

after all.. I guess there is not much room for being creative once on the birthing bed right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:02 pm 
Yes I had several books....What to expect when expecting and My pregnancy week by week. They both got me through just fine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:19 pm 

I had signed up late for mine with my 1st and ended up going early so didn't make it to them. I wasn't to worried about going to them anyway. Our hospital does them for a minimal fee. I think up to $40. No way would I pay $300. I ended up having c-sections anyway. They may be helpful but I think you'll prob. get as much from books and from word of mouth. I don't think anything really prepares you. Good luck with your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:00 pm 

Yea 300$ sounds WAY too steep! I didn't take birthing classes either. I'm pretty sure that my hospital does them for free too. I learned everything that I could possibly have learned from the internet! Try www.webmd.com or www.babycenter.com they are great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:14 am 
Hanna's Mommy - thanks for your comment :-)

I appreciate the links, defenetely helpful. As to the price, yeah, this price IS a hospital price. Everything is so expensive relating the baby here. Renting a brest pump - 50 bucks a month !!! too.

I am just trying to be reasonable so all opinions help because you guys went through this in most cases.

Krissimace - thanks again for your comment :-)
I happen to already have both books you recommend so I will dig the topic further.

Post subject: Childbirth classes
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:15 pm 

I am currently taking the classes. It cost us $60 for a six week course at the hospital. This is our 1st child and I would recommend the classes. The information that I have received I really think will help in labor. Because, I plan to go natural and even if you want meds. They instruct you on that and breathing techniques. I hope this helps. :lol:

Laura
It's a boy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:40 pm 
I must say that everyone said I needed to take the classes because I needed the breathing techniques, and they would get me through the labor. For me, as soon as those contractions got bad, and kind of breathing was out the window....how could I breathe through the screams :D But for some it does work, I have no tolerance for pain :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:50 pm 
Laura~ I went natural too. ALthough i didnt take the classes... i walked into the hospital dialated to 4 already. One main thing ya gotta remember when your in labor and your going natural.. RELAX! if you relax as much as possible through each contraction, you will progress so smoothly!

Beatrice~ Maybe you would want to take the classes to kind of get yourself in the right mind set and prepared for everything. im not sure about prices, i never looked into it, i went into my pregnancy with a big head and told myself i can do anything. :) i hope you get things going in your direction and you get done what you need to get done.. and good luck too :) i hope everything goes smoothly :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:35 am 

Hi. When I took a lamaze class I took it for only 5 dollars every time I went. It really helped alot. If I were you I would try and find a cheaper class to take, but also with good information. It would help if you do end up giving a vaginal birth.
If you want to give a vaginal birth, tell your dr thats what you would like to do. Unless there is a problem that you can't give naturaly then they will give you a cesarian, but i strongy encourage you to give birth naturally and try your hardest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:11 am 

HAHA! I'm with Krissi!!!! How could I breathe through the screams? LOL! But seriously I just concentrated on breathing period. In and out, in and out. Big breaths. It helped some. You just find your own rythym during labour. I got the best of both worlds, so to speak, during labour/delivery. I went all the way to fully dialated, pushed for 3 hours then ended up having a c section. :roll: The phrase "it's OVER" means alot in your first week after delivering lol!

Post subject: Its my fist too!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:34 pm 

Hello........

I enrolled in my classes actually this past Monday was my 1st session, I am taking this because I really haven't had the time to do research on much, I found out in Jan. and due the 1st week of May. Maybe sooner......Anyways my classes here near Middletown. is $65. Its for 5 weeks ,1 day a week for 2hours, so a total of 10hrs for $65. The instuructor is also due aready the same time a lot of us are in the class. But its here 2nd.

They really shouldn't be that much.....i wouldn't think.....I feel more at ease knowing that there maybe information that I don't know..... There were 11 couples in the class and most were my age and above.....I would go to maybe like bottlefeeding,brestfeeding classes, bathing handling, classes, The class that I think will most help would be the all around Birthing Essentials Classes, knowing how to take care of one, more so that having one.

With you having a c-section......I'm not sure that some of the same classes would help........

good luck, Have 9 weeks to go.........:) Madison Leigh will be here............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:36 pm 
My doctor used to laugh at me and ask why I even needed her because I knew everything alreday :) I am always watching Birthday and BAby story. Guess that is why they never recommened classes to me. They already thought I was a know-it all :lol: