Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Dreams in Preschooler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:28 pm 

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with dreams or night terrors in a preschooler, age 3. My son is waking thinking he has spiders in his bed - also during the day he is fearful of noises - the trash truck, the wind - etc.

He, to my knowledge, has not seen anything scary. It comes and goes, but night time is difficult. He ends up in our bed, which I dont want to get into again.

I'm thinking this is just a normal part of development, but wonder at what point it becomes a bigger issue.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:20 pm 

Hi,

My son is two and he started recently, within the last 2 months or so waking occasionally and says "ghosts" and points to different areas in his room saying "ghosts". For a while he was coming into our bed quite often usually very early in the morning but has recently stopped that......thank goodness.
I try to explain to him that ghosts are "make believe" and I tell him that means that they are not real. I tell him ghosts are only on tv and then he says "Halloween too". So I think he kind of understands.
He also wanted me to put certain toys of his down in the basement because he says that they are "too scary". One toy I had to put away for a while was his Hulk doll/body pillow that has an angry looking face. Now he is fine with it and it's back in his room.

Your son sounds totally normal and I have heard night terrors can start as early as age two because that's when a child's imagination starts to really develop.
Your son will eventually outgrow this stage. Just try to reassure him, hold him for a minute if he wakes, rub his back, and then try to put him back in his own bed instead of bringing him in yours.

I hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:39 pm 

There are actually spiders in my daughter's bed. The girl has a collection of rubbery lizards, spiders, and other animals that she insists on bringing to bed with her every night. She's an odd little bird she is.

That said ... nightmares at three years old doesn't sound terribly unusual to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:56 am 

Thanks for the replies.

Nikki - my son also frequently talks about 'monsters' - Look mommy, a monster, or That looks like a monster. I tell him monsters are 'pretend' - 'not real' - maybe I'll try 'make believe too' - he seems to understand, but other moms I know have never had this with their kids.

Steve - your daughter sounds like my sisters kids - they love spiders/lizards/worms - they're both girls, 4 and 2 1/2. In fact one of the things that I got them for Christmas was a bucket of reptiles. I attribute it to my brother in law who is a hiker (and has been taking them since infancy) and a total nature person. They also like that scary looking Playmobile pirate stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:48 pm 

Steve,

Your daugter doesn't sound too odd :lol: My grandma told me that when I was three years old I would have her dig worms from the garden for me and then I would put them in a shoe box with grass and dirt and bring them in the house so I could keep them as pets......GROSS!! I'm sure they didn't last too long :lol:
She said I would never pick them up myself that's why I would get her to do the dirty work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:53 pm 

I have a friend who gave their daughter a water bottle by her bed set on a very fine mist so if she 'saw a monster' she could spray it to make it go away and it worked for her. That way she wouldn't have to scream and wake everyone up and made her feel in power.

Post subject: mosnter spray
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:57 am 
Site Admin

When I was a little kid (like three or four) my mother took a bottle and told me it was anti monter spray. Any time I 'saw' a monster, she would spray they spray and make it go away.... might be worth a try.

J.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:25 pm 

Great Ideas - Thank you very much.