Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:13 am 

Eric was born Sunday morning at 4:01am. My wife and baby were required to stay for two days for follow-up exams. The RNs at the hospital called our son a model baby. Always content, never P.O.'d about anything. Well, Tuesday comes and it's time to come home....

Wow!! What a difference location makes. He was very upset. So much so that he didnt sleep at all Tuesday night. Very puzzled.

We are first time parents and knew this wouldn't be a walk in the park. It is very frustrating not being able to identify what he is upset about. Is it gas? Eric breastfeeds. Is he getting enough? Could it be the light levels in the room/house? I am NOT complaining. I made a pact with myself that whatever Eric needs, he receives, like any parent would do. But not knowing, man that sucks. Seeing my wife, who pulled off the most incredibly miraculous event I will ever witness in my life on Sunday morning, weepy and worried, breaks my heart. Well, Wednesday night may bring a different outcome .

Any of you good people have a similar event the first night or any night thereafter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I will keep everyone who is interested updated.

-- Joe -- Proud Papa in Pennsburg, Pa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:37 am 

I am especially looking forward to hearing from DadSteve on this. After reading his "RANTS" post I definitely concluded that I like the way he thinks.

Steve, if you're out there, let me have it. Criticisms or encouragement. Was I too whiny? I can take it.

-- Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:23 pm 

No, you are not being whiny. There is nothing more frustrating than not knowing why your child is crying. You love this child so much and all you want to do is help him and you try everything and nothing helps. I will tell you this, it could be gas, babies are very gassy, but it also could be nothing. Babies cry and for no reason, it is very normal. That might not make you feel better, but there doesnt have to be a reason. So that makes it even more frustrating, is he crying because something is wrong or just because? I would say the first week only, I was lucky, she didnt sleep at all at night. So the fact that he was up all night is very normal too. Sounds like he is a great baby and this very hard part will pass in time. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:28 pm 

Hey,

It's great to see some other caring dads on the board besides Steve.

Congrats on the birth of you first baby! I can tell you also as a first time parent who is 34 and has a son who is now 25 months, parenting is all about learning as you go and it is one of the toughest but most rewarding jobs in the world.

With respect to your son crying, it could be many things.....go through the list .....try feeding him, check his diaper, is he too hot, too cold, or maybe he just wants to be held and rocked. You cannot spoil a baby. Just hold him and love him, sing a lullaby to him, put on some relaxing music.

My son had colic for the first 3 months of his life so I know how frustrating it can be when they cry and there really seems to be nothing wrong. Your son is very young and it may just take a while for him to get used to his surroundings.

Good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:10 pm 

My wife and I thank you guys for taking the time to reply to my post. We were looking for an experienced perspective on how to deal with this and thats what we received.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement and good luck to you two on your parenting adventure. Now, on to Wednesday night with our new found knowledge and outlook....

-- Joe

Post subject: rough night
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:19 am 

Hi Joe.
Congratulations on the birth of your son!
After having my daughter, we had to stay in the hospital for 5 nights and that first night home was completely different for us as well. It was so frustrating not knowing what was wrong or what she needed. I did however realize that I was eating a lot of different foods than at the hospital (I was breastfeeding). As soon as I watched my diet things settled down.
Hope things are going better for you!!
Nicole

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:50 am 

Eric, I don't know how the hell I missed your post. I usually check this forum once a day. Do you have an update? How are things going?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:28 pm 

This is Eric's mommy...and I'm proud to announe that Eric is 6 weeks old now(almost 7). He is going great and getting big. We found out the problem was that I wasnt producing enough breastmilk for him and he was starving. We started supplementing him with formula at 2 weeks and he's been happy ever since. Thanks to everyone for their support...it's nice to know there's strangers out there who care.

Happy holiday to everyone!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:29 pm 

Click on the link below to see just how happy Eric is!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:18 pm 

Glad to know everything's working out. My kids? Well they both have colds and are a couple of terrors. Oh well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:37 am 

The idea of sickness and injury to my son makes my blood run cold. It's something I haven't thought about yet.

Just the other day at work someone was talking about how their son was running around (with a comb that has a pointy handle) and tripped, and... we'll leave the rest out but the end involved 2 teams of EMT's and fire companies from 3 different boroughs.

Steve, we hope your kids feel better soon.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:01 pm 

I had a scare today that I haven't (and won't) tell my wife about. We have a blanket spread out in the living room for my five-month-old son to play on. We tell my 2.5-year-old that her little toys aren't allowed on that blanket. Well, she has a little basket of bugs and fish that she plays with. She was sitting quietly next to the blanket this evening playing with those bugs, when it was just me and the kids. The wife had gone to the grocery store. I looked away for just a second, and when I looked back my son was putting a small plastic spider in his mouth. I don't think it would have choked him, but it could have. My heart lept into my throat and I grabbed it from him. All I could think of was that I could have been in the kitchen getting something when he managed to snag that toy. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:00 am 

Geez-louise, something else to add to the list. Ok, I have my outlet plugs, my stair gates and all my cabinets nailed shut...

Must devise a device that insures nothing smaller than an apple gets near Eric's mouth when I am more than five feet away. Since he doesn't know what or where his hands are, I have a little time.

I envision a sort of Ronald Reagan era Star Wars laser firing satellite that hovers and follows the little one around forever guarding against insertion of any offending micro material into eyes, mouth, nose and ears.

Steve, you handle flight telemetry and I'll handle marketing and computer logistics. There is money to be made my friend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:27 pm 

Man, all I've got is some scrap lumber and cable ties. Will that help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:46 pm 

That's perfect Steve!