Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:55 pm 
I don't know what to do about my 2 1/2 month old baby. I'm in the military and they won't give me anything for her. I'm certain it's her formula. I had to stop breastfeeding her, as i lost my milk, so i was forced to put her on formula.well now she is always ill; crying, more like screaming, stretching her legs in pain. So the other day I bought the infant supositories and cut one in half and after it cleaned her she fell asleep and when she woke up she was all grins, something i haven'tnever seen her do. she was a happy baby! it was so wonderful to be greeted by smiles, but then 4 hours after i fed her she became cranky, and ill again and is now back to the same fuss, can't deal with baby! what can i do! i want to do something to take her pain away! please help us! I am a new mom , so i don't know any of the "tricks". I"m in the military and they don't like to give infants medicine and they aren't allowed to advise on the "tricks".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:31 pm 
isnt there a doctor there who could help your baby, or give you any kind of advice? im a new mom myself and still learning, when my daughter does that, she usually has a belly ache, and i give her some mylicon infant gas relief drops, they work wonders. good luck, and i hope baby starts to feel better:)

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:41 am 
I am Military too and I don't understand why you can't go to the doctor. With a baby that young I NEVER had a problem getting her in or getting whatever she needed. With that said, have you tried switching to a soy formula, maybe she has a milk allergy. I don't think the suppository is a good thing to do BTW, tou should NEVER self treat a baby that young, you could be doing more harm than good and not know it. Thoses things are not meant for babies that young. Have you called the tri-care nurse hotline? Did you go to the doctors and did they say "nothing is wrong, go home?" BTW, most doctors don't give babies that young medicine unless there is something SERIOUSLY wrong because like I said it can do more harm than good

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:01 am 

I agree with Krismace. Don't give her the suppositories this young. YOu may get her used to them. Then she'll never go without them. You don't want that. I would try the mylicon. I don't understand though why she can't see a doctor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:49 am 
I don't think it is that she "can't see a doctor" I think that she might have gone and they said nothing is wrong and sent her home. Am I right Jessica? The problem I think is that she was offered no advice fo what was wrong maybe? I am curious why you went with suppositories? Lily is a Formula Fed baby and I went through the same thing as you. I did not switch to Soy because there are no milk allergies in my family and they say milk allergies don't happen often and usually happen when there is a family history of them. I just kept using the gas drops and it helped. Then a miricle happened........she hit 3 months! It was like a completly new baby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:31 am 

I wonder if the baby is colic. Payton was. It got better at about 3 months maybe a little after. Got to love that three month mark. I don't understand what she means by won't advise on tricks. Is mylicon a trick you think? They only give perscription when it's needed? I am confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:24 pm 

Definately try the mylicon drops! Whoever invented them was a genius! Whenever my son stretched his legs and screamed it was always gas and the mylicon drops worked every time. For awhile, the doctor told me to give them to him every time I fed him...Jacob was/is breastfed but he gets some formula. I also switched to the soy but mainly because he had reflux and spit up a lot. He did not seem to have as much gas on the soy formula though.
I know that I was advised to try to massage Jake's tummy or lay him on his tummy on my knees and pat his back whenever he had gas. (It never really worked for us though)
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:27 pm 
I don't know if any of you get Parents magazine but I just got my March issue and there is a great article in theer about "why babies cry" I know there are a few new mommies out there that were worried about all the crying, go pick up the issue if you can but I picked out a few things for you:
"Every new mom has been there. Your baby is shreiking, you have no clue how to calm her, and you would give your life savings to someone who could tell you how to stop it."
"What's important to remember is that all infants have unexplained periods of fussiness in the first few months"
"Still realizing that your baby tears are normal doesn't make them easy to live with."
"A newborn cries for an average of three hours a day, peaking at around 6 weeks. By three months, your baby's crying will probably subside to about one hour a day"

There are alot of other good points in the article but these are just a few I picked out. I would give you more but Lily wants her bath now :) But like I said it is a good article so go out an get the magazine if you get a chance :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:49 pm 

Krissimace you must be in a rush I thought for sure there would be a link for the magazine. LOL!! I saw that article it was pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:29 pm 
And I was wrong, it is Parenting Magazine, not Parents. If I knew where to find a link I would have put that first, but your right I was in a rush :) Couldn't let her majesty wait on her bath! Goodness knows I would have three hours of crying on my hands all over again if I made her wait :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:07 am 

I get all those magazines I don't know which is which.
Oh I see you are dealing with royalty too. My husband and I always call payton the princess. Cause she does not like to be kept waiting. She wants what she wants when she wants and refuses to wait a minute for it.
She cried for three hours yesterday? Teeth? Or bad day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:27 pm 
No I was just making a joke that if I made her wait she would revert back to when she was a montha nd cried all the time! Thank goodness she does not do that anymore :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:45 pm 

Oh I Was going to say you poor thing. Payton turned up sick today. I knew it was coming though. Mikey was at the doctors Friday for croupe. So PAyton was bound to get it too. Mikey is getting better. She just started today. I knew he was going to get sick. He was at karate last week where this little boy was hacking up a lung. I don't understand why people take there sick kids out. Mikey didn't go to karate Friday or today cause I didn't want the otehr kids to get sick. And I didn't want him to get sicker by doing too much