Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Experiences with Pitocin
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:46 am 

Just wondering if anyone has any negative/or positive experiences with Pitocin.
I was given Pitocin when I was in labour with my son to speed things up and I found the contractions brought on by the Pitocin unbearable to the point that I had to ask for an epidural shortly after starting the pit.
After 14 hours of increasing the amt. of pit. my baby was showing signs of fetal distress and at which point a emerg. c-sec was ordered.

For the birth of my next baby I would really like to try and avoid the pitocin, and epidural if possible. It just seems that when you are in the hospital you really are at the mercy of the staff.
Hmmmm, maybe I should consider a Doula......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:24 pm 

I was given Pitocin due to the fact that I had extremely high blood pressure. I was fine even after the Pitocin until they broke my water. That is when I had unbearable contractions and was crying/screaming for an epidural. I was having contractions from my back wrapping around to the front of my stomach... I was unable to catch my breath because it hurt so bad ( also the baby was pushing down and her feet were pushing against my lungs causing me to have trouble breathing). After the epidural I was fine... but I was going into labor with the intent to get an epidural. When I had my baby it was more up to me if I wanted an epidural or not. Thank God nothing really went wrong during labor and delivery... I had a normal vaginal delivery. Good luck with your next labor and delivery! God bless you and your family! Happy Holidays!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:48 pm 

Thanks Kendra and congratulations on the birth of your healthy baby
girl!

My water had broken at home. We then went to the hospital and I walked for over an hour to bring on contractions naturally.........I was not really progressing so they started the pit.
I also intened to have an epidural if the pain became too much......but the epidural did not work properly......I was only frozen on one side of my body and could feel the pain of the contractions on the other side.
I do not know if this was caused by an inexperience anthiesologist or what.

Anyway, let's hope this labour will be better.

Happy Holidays to you and your family :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:57 pm 

My sisters epidural only worked on one side after she was given pitocin. She had a vaginal birth and felt everything on the one side. I think it depends on the anethesiologist. I've had an epidural and spinal and they worked well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:53 pm 

my moms epideral quit working during her c-sec she told me she felt part of the insien. so getting an epi. kinda scares me

Post subject: Pitocin
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:27 pm 

When my daughter was born in August they gave me the pitocin to bring on labor. Now there are a few doctors at my practice. The first doctor told me labor brought on by pitocin is much more painful, my doctor who wanted to induce me said that was false. She also said because they were inducing me as soon as I was uncomfortable they would give me the epidual. I was good with that. Well I had no more pain the second time with the pitocin then I did when I had my son without the pitocin. But the doctor "forgot" to come back in with the epidural. Oh my goodness I was like a crazy person. When I delivered my son I had the epidual. It was a pleasure. This time without it I don't know why people choose not to have epidural. Why go through that pain??? It was awful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:25 am 

My Mom's doctor gave her pitocin when she was in labor with my brother to "speed things up" but it made his heart slow down so much that they had to do an emergency c-section. Studies are now being done because there may be a correlation between pitocin and autisim. I highly reccommend midwives (doulas assist them but aren't legally allowed to deliver babies). I used a midwife and my labor and delivery went smoothly and wonderfully. :) www.midwifery.com has info!! Good luck with your decision!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:17 pm 

I had my water broken on my due date because of very high blood pressure. Shortly after, when I was not progressing as the doc would have liked, he started me on Pitocin. The contractions started almost immediately and within an hour were unbearable. I ended up getting an epidural, but then it numbed me so much I couldn't push effectively. I had them back it off, then they did too much....and increased it a little again. It was a VERY long 23 hours of labor. They ended up having to use forceps to get the baby out because she had an arm up by her shoulder preventing her from coming out naturally on her own. Everything turned out fine. She did great during the 23 hour saga.
This was my first child and I had wanted to go med free-HA! I have also heard that labor pains are worse with Pitocen. I'm sure this varies person to person. My next one I hope they don't want (or feel the need) to use it.
Terri