Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Feeding Question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:34 pm 

Nice to meet everyone! I have been reading these forums for a couple weeks since Jackson was born. At first he had his nights and days mixed up. The second week seemed to be going along great with Jackson sleeping from about 8:30 pm to 12 am then getting a feeding.

Today he has been a little madman. He has slept all of about 3 solid hours and it seems he wants to eat on the hour every hour. My wife is breast feeding and she is producing plenty of milk. If she pumps she can get 3 oz. from each breast in a sitting. I read in "What to expect in the first year" that at 3 weeks this can be a feeding or growth spurt. Its sounds reasonable enough but my poor wife is not getting any rest at all and I can do nothing to help her. She has no time to pump because he wants to eat about every 1.5 hours.

Any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:07 am 

This is normal,unfortunately not one of the more pleasant parts of newborn life,but it will pass ,your wifes milk production will go up in a day or two and everything should even out,Do you have breastfeeding mothers group there? they are pretty well global! Good luck and congratulations on your little one! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:49 pm 

Yeah, I'm with Tracey. This sounds like cluster feeding, and it is another not-so-fun aspect of having a newborn.

Do make sure that he is actually hungry when he cries. Especially at night, your wife doesn't have to jump up the second he makes a sound. Give him a few seconds, he MAY just be wiggiling around to et comfy.

Stick it out, this is the hardest! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:13 pm 

oh yea it gets better! Try to make him wait a bit longer each time and pacify him with, well a pacifier haha! This will hopefully get him into a better routime where he will eat more each time and be satisfied for a longer period of time. Don't make him wait too long tho! Just a little bit each time...And Suzanne is right, it isn't ALWAYS hunger that is the reason he cries :) Hang in there! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:35 pm 

Thanks a lot! He slept like a log through most of the night last night. I think he just wore himself out staying up so long during the day. Tonight he was doing good as well. :) Sure do love this little guy!

My work gives the dad's 2 weeks paternity leave which is GREAT! It is going back that is so tough. All I do is think about him :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:57 pm 

your not alone,my husband has a hard timegoing back to work after our last one,he carries photos of the kids and has the two girls as screen savers! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:04 am 

hah cool. Last night the sig was not working and now it is. :) Such a handsome fellow. People say he looks just like me :)