Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Fighting sleep
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:14 pm 
have any of you ever dealt with a baby that fights sleep? I dont know why, but when mykenzi gets tired here recently, she she cries and cries until she falls asleep, there are times when her eyes will close and then suddenyl they pop open and she starts screaming. Also, sometimes during her sleep, she will let out this high pitched squeal and then cry for a minute then fall back asleep. do you think maybe she is dreaming? or is it just a release of tension so that she can keep sleeping? as far as her fighting sleep, it has gotten to the point sometimes, that she is screaming incessantly, her eyes are red and puffy and blood shot, and she just wont go to sleep, i have to sit and rock her and listen to her scream until she finally screams herself to sleep.. I jsut dont know what to do about it, or if it is a phase that will pass, i just hope it isnt a prediction as far as future sleep habits with her! lol.. HELP!

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:18 am 

It's not dreaming. Kids don't start dreaming until they're two or three years old. Is it possible she's dealing with gas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:47 am 
Lily was like that too. She still fights sleep but eventually she gives in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:59 am 

Actually, I read that babies actually can dream while they are still in the womb. But, DadSteve may be right, it could be gas. Newborns digestive systems aren't completely developed yet, it is why so many babies battle with gas problems. And you know how painful gas pains feel, and she doesn't understand what is going on.

Also, babies sleep REALLY restless for the first few months. The have different sleep patterns than adults. Adults spend about 75% of their time in non-REM sleep (or deep quiet sleep). Babies, on the other hand, spend about 25% of the time in non-REM sleep. It is a very tough thing for parents to get used to, b/c they think their baby may be waking when in fact, they are just stirring in their sleep (it is part of the reason why I moved my son out of my room at 5 weeks, I just couldn't get used to that restless sleep, I do much better w/ just a monitor where I don't hear every little noise, only the important ones).

As for the falling asleep thing. That is tough. It could be that your daughter is becoming more aware of her surroundings, and yes, is fighting going to sleep b/c she thinks she will miss something. Although, she is pretty young. My son started doing that at about 4 months. Or, it could be that she just needs to learn how to comfort herself and put herself to sleep. It isn't an easy thing to do and that just takes time. These are all just theories, but who the heck really knows. Babies are so unpredictable! I don't think you should get too freaked out about future sleep though. Next month, she could be great about sleeping, or it could be something new! Ha ha. Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:34 am 
usually if she gets too fussy when she is tired, or is crying hard, i will test her to see if she wants a bottle, or what and if she cries while she is sucking, ill give her some of the mylicon, yes, to the ladies who introduced me to it, i thank you, its saved my life alot! lol.. today our problem seem to be that she needs to poop.. it has been about a day and a half since she popped last.. so she outta be going any minute, weird thing with mykenzi though, she will only start to poop when she is eating, ive never got her up after sleeping and had her be poopy.. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:41 am 

My son Jacob is 6 months old and he has just started falling asleep without fighting it...he screamed bloody murder also unless he was falling asleep while eating. So, don't worry too much,just remember that when your baby is 12 years old he won't cry every time he gets tired!! :lol:
This is what I make myself think every time I am frustrated - This too shall pass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:21 pm 

My son used to do that (not poop unless he was eating). To this day, he has never once pooped in his sleep, but now he will go at other times, not just when he eats. If your baby is formula fed, chances are she won't go every day. My son pretty steadily goes every other day now. For awhile there, he was only going every 3-4 days. So, I started to give him diluted apple juice/pear juice at around 4 months, and he gets it once a day (2 ounces juice, 2 ounces water). Now he goes every other day and all seems to be well! But 6 weeks is a bit young for juice. Don't be alarmed though if she only goes every other day. My doc told me that is pretty typical!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:10 pm 

It sounds like gas to me too.
HAve you tried putting her to bed while she's up yet? Payton does that thing that looks like she's fighting sleep but really she just wants to be left alone by that point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:35 pm 
im gonna start putting her to bed awake now, my dad bought her a crib tonight, so she can finally get out of that darn playpen!!! she seems to like being higher up, when we got it together we layed her in it, and she layed there for 20 minutes looking around, so im thinking of getting her into the habit of going to bed a little awake so that she can learn to get to sleep on her own, right now she is laying in bed kicking her feet, making weird noises, and snorting lmao!!! i think the playpen was way too uncomfortable and down too low, so hopefully the new bed will help some:):)

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:38 pm 
ooh ooh ooh, a few minutes afteri sent that message, she fell asleep.. all on her own!! YaY!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:04 am 
have any of your little ones ever not liked sleeping in the dark at such a young age? i just spent 2 hours with a screaming baby, trying to get her to go to sleep, and when i finally put her in bed, and turned my light on and sat down to gain my composure cuz i was going nuts, she fell asleep just like that. before that she would fall asleep, wake up screaming 2 minutes later, not eat, sleep, wake up 2 minutes later screaming, i jsut didnt get it, and then i turned the light on and she fell asleep, i dunno if the light was a factor or if it was just coinsidense, but thank god... i really wish i had another person to help me :(:( im sooo freaking angry at her dad!! i certainly didnt create her myself, and im trying to darndest to raise her myself, but it s soo hard, i have my parents help during the day, but at night when she does this, itd be nice to say "hunny, please, i need to rest!" BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sorry i had to let that out or i was gonna split at the seams!

thank u for listening

Melisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:33 pm 

We always leave a night light on when my son is sleeping. He can't fall asleep with out it.
I know how you feel about nights alone with baby! I have a husband but he works a lot at night. It is hard when you are so tired and you have no one to take turns with and that baby won't go to sleep or stay asleep!! I have sat in the rocking chair with Jake while we both cried ourselves to sleep quite a few times! You should find someone to watch her and give yourself a bedtime off! Your baby will be better off if you are happy and rested once in awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:03 pm 

Both my kids have a night light on. I started it really for me though. This way when I check on them during the night I can see what I am doing.
I have nights on my own too. Mike travels alot but not only that but Payton is strictly breastfed. Obviously my husband can do nothing to help me there. Although now she doesn't get fed if she wakes up during the night. But she's so used to me going in there that if he goes she scream out of fear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:57 pm 
well the poor thing finally went to sleep at 7:15am, i was so freaked out because i was watching her cry, and she had this like sad/painful cry, it made me cry to watch her because there was nothing i could do about it :(:( i hate that feeling. my sis said she wants to take her for the night one night this weekend, so i can get a break, i hope she does.. lol...
as far as mykenzi sleeping in her crib, i just checked on her, she has been sleeping for 2 hours, and donetwisted and scooted herself sideway, she is about 3 inches away from her light up fish tank, so either she will wake up on her own soon, or she is gonna bump her head any time now lol, i dont wanna wake her by moving her, poor thing is exhausted..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:19 pm 

Melissa if you need a break there is nothing wrong with asking your sister if she can take her. Spend the night catching up on sleep or catching dinner with some girlfriends. When the bay comes back you will feel like a whole new woman