Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: first appointment
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:20 am 

Hey all,
Just found out we were pregnant last week :D and called for an OB appointment. We are military, so the appointments work a little differently than the civilian world....anyway, they said that my first appointment is not until July 6th. I asked her how far along I was and she said 6 weeks. My question is when is the typical time to have the first appointent? Mine will be at about 10 weeks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Kerum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:09 am 

Hey, also being military I understand how things work. I couldn't tell you what the normal time frame to have your first appt is I think it just depends when you find out and whens the soonest you can get in. I'm stuck being stationed over here in Germany and things are ALOT different from in the states. They make you go to some stupied pregnancy class that explans the German Doctors and once you go to the class you get your first appt! I think I was right around 10 weeks also when I finally got to see a doctor. Anyways congrats on your pregnancy and welcome to the board! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:52 am 

I think it depends on where you live. Where I'm from it's at 10 weeks but they give you a prescription for vitamins when you make your 1st appt. or you can just take over the counter prenatal vitamins, which are much cheaper and easier to take.

Post subject: FIRST APPOINTMENT
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:26 pm 

I just made my first appointment, finally!!! I'm about 12 weeks, I go Monday June 7th. I have never gone to this place, it's a private place with one doctor. I have no idea what to expect. Other than hand over a prescription for vitamins, what do they do? I already have my prenatal over-the-counter vits. I was on this site earlier today when my dad came in and saw in big huge letters Baby place and Pregnancy. Obviousy I'm still "working on" telling them. They'll know when they start getting the insurance bills. Which I need to pay for somehow. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:28 pm 

Kinda Long....Where I'm from this is how it basically goes. If you haven't had a pap smear within the past year then they do it on your first visit. Basically you go every 4 weeks and they just check your urine, which you bring each time, your weight, blood pressure, listen for fetal heartbeat, and feel your belly. Takes no time at all for the visits, except waiting to be seen of course takes FOREVER. I can't remember which visits, but every so often they take blood. They'll do it your 1st or 2nd visit to blood type you, amongst other things. Then they'll take it for the afp test, etc. When you get into 20+ weeks they will do a sugar test. This tests if your are developing gestational diabetes. You don't eat from midnight on and then you drink a glass of orange or lime sugar-wait 1 hr then draw blood. If you fail they do a 3hr test. Some people don't like this. I found it to be no big deal. I drank the orange and it just tasted like flat orange soda. The only hard part is the not eating. Unless you have problems sonograms are usually done between 4-6 months if the doctor does them at all. Some prefer to wait longer so they can better check the baby out. Then when you get close to due date your visits go to 3 weeks then 2, then 1.