Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:33 pm 

Hiya!

Im 8 weeks 4 days pregnant and I went to see a midwife for the first time today. She told me that I cant have my first scan until i am 20 weeks pregnant. Most people I know who have been pregnant have had their first scan much earlier on in their pregnancy so this must a new procedure. Does anyone know how i could get an earlier scan? I feel this is the only way I can get peace of mind at these early stages in my pregnancy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:46 pm 

Hey, call your local hospital and ask for the parentology department and see if you can schedule a ultrasound to date your pregnancy. some places will only let you with a prescription from your doctor, but the one at my hospital and some others let you without. its worth a try!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:47 pm 

yeah i think i might try that! Im going to make an appointment with my doctor and hope that he will let scheduel one sooner!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:47 pm 

My first was 19 weeks? Later in pregnancy is pretty common aswell. Only online I heard of scans earlier. My dr. told me there was no point in an early scan as long as you know when your LMP was. If you don't know what your last period was, they will do a scan to give you an EDD. Otherwise though, they wont.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:54 am 

they might have a scan earlier depends on if you have medical problems that run in your family. i had one at 20 weeks. And haven't had one since.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:50 am 

most doctors don't give scans before 18 to 20wks if there is no problems.i had scan at 6 wks this time because i though i had tubal preganancy.i had bad pains on left side always.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:15 pm 

Well in ohio a lot of doctors think that it will bring peace at mind for mothers so many docs will give you one at 11-13 weeks just to confirm everything is go going smoohtly and your due date is right.