Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Food Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:34 pm 

I am quite confused about feeding my 7 1/2 month little man. Right now he eats baby food first thing in the morning with a 4 oz. bottle, then a bottle (8 oz) between breakfast and lunch. At lunch, a jar of baby food and a 4 oz. bottle. Afternoon 8 oz bottle and then at dinner a jar and 4 oz bottle. Then an 8 oz bottle before bed. So it boils down to eating a 4 oz bottle with each meal and an 8 oz bottle between each meal. When does the milk start slimming down? It is not that I offer it too much, he fusses for his bottle in between meals (he's on Carnation so I know that it digests quicker). Also, he hardly ever finishes a whole jar of food - he gets bored and will refuse to eat. Am I doing anything wrong?

Also, I asked a sippy cup question the other day...I know I see kids all the time with their sippy cup in hand walking around. When do you offer it anytime? Right now we are doing okay just at meals, but when do you offer it more? It seem like he's not even drinking an oz TOTAL all day. Is this what he's supposed to be doing?

THANKS!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:40 pm 

Hi,

Don't worry so much, you're doing just fine :wink: I have to admit, I was the same as you when my son was that age, but different concerns.......should I give him his bottle first, or jarred food first, is he getting enough formula a day, will he ever hold his own bottle, etc, etc.
If your son is healthy, and gaining a good amt of weight (according to what his doctor says at checkups), then I wouldn't worry too much.
Use his cues as your guideline for feeding him. If he seems hungry try offering him a jar of baby food or bottle. If he only has a few teaspoons of jarred food, then that's ok.
With the sippy cup, I just tried it one day with his meals. At first he would just chew on the spout, and eventually he learned to suck from it to drink.
I always offered a sippy cup of milk (at 1 yr) with his meals, and in between meals water, and not juice. That way he is not filling up on juice.

Make sure you are not giving him too much juice because that will definitely fill him up and he will not eat as much jarred food and get the nutrients he needs. If you do give him juice, get the unsweetened or water down the regular juice with water.

Oh, yeah and don't forget to wipe his teeth and gums with a clean wet cloth to prevent decay :D

Good luck!