Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: formula question
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:12 am 

Okay gals, I need your expert opinions again. I am lost at how much formula Justin should be getting each day now. He has always been a big eater (he was taking 2.5 per feeding when we left the hospital!) By the time we started him on solids at 4 months he was drinking anywhere from 30-35 ounces a day. At 5 and 6 months, he was getting 2 solid meals a day and still getting b/w 28-30 ounces of formula per day. I am starting to introduce a 3rd meal and have dropped the formula to about 24-26 ounces a day. He'll be 7 months on Sunday. Does that sound about right? I want to start doing the 3 meal a day thing (and a bottle at bedtime) but I feel like 30 ounces of formula + 3 solid meals a day is A LOT! But, I am not sure that 24-26 ounces is enough. I don't want him to be deprived of the nutrients he needs. What do your kids do? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:01 pm 

Jackson is 9 months now. He get nursed early in the morning for a bit, then probably gets a couple of six ounce bottles during the day, then nurses at bedtime. That 24-26 ounce number doesn't sound that far off. Keep in mind, though, that a baby will NOT overeat. You can't give them too much formula.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:17 pm 
Hmmm, I am not quite there yet. I am planning on asking the doctor the very thing at her 6 month visit on March 30. Right now Lily eats 2 meals a day and 4 bottles of 7 oz's each. It used to be 5 but she cut one of them out on her own. I know they still need to be getting enough fluids. Maybe call your doctor and see what he/she thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:18 pm 

I agree with Steve, if Justin will drink the formula, give it to him. All of my baby books say that up until one year, you should continue the same amount of formula or milk and add solid food to that. I am still nursing and I never know for sure how much Jake eats. I offer him food three times each day but I still nurse him as much as he wants - this has decrease a little bit since he started on solids, but not much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:03 pm 

I agree with jmom & steve. I just give my son bottles when he wants them. I have no clue how often or how much. I make a big batch of formula & just pour into a bottle when needed. He will usually eat solids/table food & then take a bottle. I think most things say 24-32oz for 6-12mo. olds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:23 pm 

Thanks to everyone for your help. I think we've figured it out! He really seems to be wanting to increase his solids. He still takes around 26 ounces of formula a day though as well as 4 ounces of juice (well, 2 ounces of juice mixed w/ 2 ounces of water). I think that this seems to be working out for him. I did some reading too and it seems like 26 ounces is good for him to get the nutrients he needs (you're right Mom of 2, they say b/w 24-32 ounces and on the lower end of that range once more and more solids are introduced). Thanks again for the help. These kids need to start coming with instruction manuals! Ha ha. I feel like there isn't a day that goes by that I don't have a question.