Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Formula to Milk
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:50 am 

Hey everyone!
My baby girl is turning one this month. I have had people tell me that I could to go to milk and stop the formula. In theory, this sounds great to the wallet, but how do I do this, or do I wait.
And do I do this "cold turkey"?
I am a first time mom and need some guidance besides my mom and my mother in-law!
Thanks
Gail

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:16 am 

This is a very good question. My daughter will be turning one in about a month. What I was planning on doing is gradually introducing milk to her diet. Maybe at lunch time give your daughter milk instead of formula for a couple of days, then at dinner give her milk for a couple of days, until you completely switch to milk. I still warm her formula for her and I was starting to lessen the time that I heat the formula. It seems like she doesnt want it straight from the refrigerator. Do you still heat up her formula? If you dont, is that how you started to give it to her cold. Ok hope that helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 1:43 pm 

Hi,

At around 11 months, I started giving my son some dairy foods, eg. yogurt, some cheese etc to get him used to dairy. Just before 12 months, I introduced whole milk cold in a sippy cup. It took a while, but a couple of weeks later he really liked it. I also at a year switched his formula to whole milk for his one bottle he had and still has before bed. I don't think he ever noticed the difference because he drank every last drop.
I would do it gradually with some dairy items, then try a little milk in a sippy cup.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 6:40 am 

Thanks ladies for your input. I will try it! This is just one of the many milestones that I have to get over!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 11:01 am 

I went as you put it "cold turkey" with all 3 of my girls, I still warmed their bottles and I don't think they knew the difference between the milk and formula. But for sure you can gradually introduce it. The other ladies each had great advice, bye for now!!