Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Gallstones
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:00 pm 

Does anyone or has anyone had gallstones? I think I have them (gonna make an appt tomorrow). What do they feel like? What did the doc do about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:55 am 
my sis had gallstones, it was horrible, she was in non-stop throbbing pain when she wasnt on some sort of medication such as vicodin or tylenol 3 ... she eneded up having an emergency surgery to remove her gallbladder.. some of her symptoms were vomiting, constant pain and pressure on her abdomen, dehydration, fever.. she wasnt pregnant either.. i hope that helps a little, and doesnt scare u or nething... are you having any kind of weird symptms?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:09 pm 

I have varying pain from dull to severe pain on my right side under my rib cage. My doctor thinks it may be gallstones but I have to have further testing. 3-10% of pregnant women will get gallstones. They hurt bad. I haven't had any vomiting etc. just the pain. Unless they are really extreme and blocking the liver they won't remove them while pregnant. They will just try and manage them. This is all what I have heard/researched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:19 pm 

If it doesn't turn out to be gallstones I would be sure to press for further testing. I had pain then eventually fever for 1 1/2 weeks and it turned out to be my appendix and I had been misdiagnosed many times because they couldn't detect it somehow due to my pregnancy. They checked my gallbladder, etc. My mom had problems with hers while pregnant and she had to wait until she delivered then they removed her gallbladder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:40 pm 

I had a kidney stone in my second trimester (different than but similar to gallstones). I went in the ER and they gave me drugs for the pain. Then I had codine for the pain and an antibiotics to get rid of the stone. I also had to drink tons of fluids. Hope this helped. Take care!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:38 pm 

Well, I still have the pain. Just got back from the ER and its NOT gallstones. They did an ultrasound of my gallbladder, liver, kidneys and spleen. They basically have no idea what it is and sent me home with Vicodin. I am nervous to take it while pregnant but my OB/GYN, the ER doc and pharmacist all said it is ok. I would have thought if it was my appendix than it would get progressively worse. It has times of not as bad pain though so doesn't that throw off the whole appendix thing? I also had a whole blood panel done and everything looks ok. Baby Star, where was the pain located with your kidney stone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:26 am 
well im glad to hear that ti isnt gallstones, but i do hope you find out what it is... i hate it when the ER cant figure out whats wrong so they send u home... especially pregnant women... hope all is well :) take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 6:13 pm 

I had similar pain a couple years ago, and the doctor was sure it was my gallbladder. They did an ultrasound and then a CAT scan and said my gallbladder was fine. The doctor asked what the history of the last couple weeks before the pain started was. When I said I had a stomach bug and was vomiting about a week before the pain started, he said it could be an acid burn or a small tear in the esophagus where it joins to the stomach. He had me take Maalox Max three times a day, and the pain was gone in about three days. I don't know whether you can take it while you're pregnant, though. And it can cause diarrhea , which is not fun! But the pain I had was horrible - I couldn't even turn over in bed when it would hit - you would just be afraid to move at all and it would take your breath away!!