Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: GBS
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:42 pm 

I just found out that I tested positive for GBS. My doctor said that they would give me medication through IV at the hospital when I go into labor. Is there anyone that has tested positive for this...if so what did your doctor do for you? Im scared b/c what if I dont make it to the hospital in time to get the IV and the baby is affected by it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:52 pm 
i was tested positive for it was well. they gave me an IV with fluids when i got there and gave me antibiotics for it through the IV as well... dont worry about not making it there, i kinda didnt make it, i was to be induced at 7 pm tuesday, got to the hospital at 7, and they checked me sine i was having contractions, was dialated to 4, then diaated to 5 at 9, then to 9 at 10 pm, and they didnt administer the antibiotic till 8:30... and my baby girl came out just fine, if i remember right, you have a 4 hour le-way with the antibiotic, and i only had it in me for 2 hours b4 she was born, all they did was run some blood tests on baby, and everything came back normal, so i wouldnt worry too much if i were you, all will be well :):)

and good luck to you too :):)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:46 pm 

Hey good luck! I'll find out on Thurs the results of my GBS test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:40 pm 

With my youngest I tested positive and they did the IV ... don't worry .. the Drs know what they are doing and you and your baby will be just fine!
My son is just perfect (or as perfect as a 3 yo can be..lol) but I panicked when I got a positive result too. Came to find out that lots of women test positive and it is nothing to be worried about!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:34 am 

Hey I just wanted to let you know that I tested positive as well! My doc just said to make sure that when my contractions start getting worse and more frequent to come on in to the hospital; dont wait. If you're worried you wont make it then go a bit sooner I guess. Some women have really short deliveries (My mom's friend was in and out in 2 hours just recently!) So the doctors must be prepared for cases like that! Good luck on your labour/delivery! I hope all goes well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:15 am 

please dont mind my asking but what is GBS?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:20 am 
Group B Strep... thats about all i know, i think its an infection

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:29 am 
http://www.babycenter.com/expert/3162.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:04 pm 

Group B Strep is a disease, however when a pregnant woman tests positive for GBS she does not have the disease but is a carrier. Her baby can develop GBS disease when it is delivered so medication must be given to the mother 4 hours before delivery so that the baby will not get it.