Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Genetic Screening
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:09 pm 

I am a little over 16 weeks pregnant. I have my next appointment on Thursday and at this appointment they are going to go over the genetic screening tests. I know they have to be done between a certain number of weeks and they have been really talking about them alot in my last two appointments. I told them that I do not want the tests done because I feel that I get what I get and God has blessed me with this particular baby whether it is perfect or not. I don't really want to know if there is something wrong because it is not going to make me terminate the pregnancy if I find out something is wrong. Is this way of thinking bad? The nurse looked at me like I was dumb when I said I didn't want the test last time. Has anyone else made the same decision as me or made the other decision and are glad you did? Just wondering everyone else's feelings on the whole genetic testing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:27 pm 

If the tests happen to come back that something may or is wrong then you will be able to see a doctor that can deal with those issues and you can prepare for them as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:43 am 

I think your in your early twenties well I'm 25 and the chances of having anything that the tests would catch are very very low. The older you are the more important it is to have done. They say that the ultrasound can catch the same diseases almost as well as the blood test.

When you go in for your ultrasound ask them to measure around the neck and make sure its normal thats an alternative way to test for downs. Anyway I don't regret not testing.