Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: gestational diabetes...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:37 pm 
ok, i had my glucose test done, and my level was a little high, so they want me o go have the 3 hour test done, if i have the gestational diabetes stuff, will i definately have to have a c-sec? my mom told me i would have, but my aunt jsut had a baby and she has gestational diabetes, and had a vaginal delivery.. so im kind of confused...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:11 pm 

No...you don't for sure have to have a C-section. Because most babies born to mothers with gestational diabetes are big, they sometimes will do them if they think the baby won't fit through the birth canal. Many times they will induce mothers a couple weeks early so the baby isn't too big yet to have a vaginal delivery. Talk to your doc about your options and tell him/her that you really want a vaginal delivery and they will hopefully work with you!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:16 pm 
I failed my glucose test as well, actually most people I know failed it, and then passed the 3 hour test. Most people who take the 3 hour test pass it being as how the glucose test is so inaccurate. Take comfort in knowing that only 1% of people develop gestational diabetes, and heredity plays a large part in it. My mom had it and I just barely passed it so in my 38th week when there was a lot of sugar in my urine sample I had to change my diet and watch my blood pressure closely. The reason being is that women who have gestational diabetes are more likely to develop pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure), and that is what can lead to c-sections because the baby doesn't get enough oxygen during contractions or the mother's bp gets so high that it is too dangerous and delivery is the only way to cure the problem. So don't worry too much about it unless your dr. tells you otherwise and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:37 pm 
wow, ladies, you are so awesome, see i didnt know any of the statitstics and that most women fail the first glucose test, thnk you girls... youve hieghtented my spirits a bit :-) my only worry now is that every mother i run into, including my sis and mom tell me that they think ill deliver by x-mas.. lol... scarey, my due date isnt till january 9th.. teehehehe, im excited!!

Post subject: C-section
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:48 pm 

Don't worry about a c-section! I'm diabetic, and have had to have them, but my step mom had my little brother and two little sisters naturally. She had GD, and they each weighed over 9.5 pounds!! (I think she's freaky, but then again, she's my step-mother!)

There are many things you can do to manage high blood sugar, so don't stress yourself too much!

Marsha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:22 pm 
is the recovery time for a csection outrageous? thats what im mainly scared about, and being cut open, oh, and the epidural or spinal block, whichever it is they use..

im plain scared if the whole concept...:(:(:(

Post subject: c-section
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:30 pm 

I didn't have a problem from either of my c-sections. The spinal is not all that bad. They inject lidocaine into your skin, then all you feel is pressure. Now they can inject an after med into the spinl, called dura-morph. It's a synthetic morphine that doesn't hinder your movement at all, but takes away most of the pain for the first 24-36 hours. I had Kyjuan at 8:30 am, and walked to the NICU at 1:30 pm. I don't think the incision was all that bad, either. It pulls a bit, and can be sore, but not really painfull. Hope that helps some!

Marsha