Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Going to sleep
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:57 pm 

We have a 4 month old who insists on being walked to sleep at night. She's not too bad during the day, she'll go to sleep on her own when she's ready for a nap. After 8pm or so she starts getting a little fussy. We try to put her down around 10 pm or so, but she'll cry untill we walk her around & she falls alseep in our arms. Is this normal? How can we get her out of this habit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:04 pm 

How long do you let her cry for? Is she on cereal yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:12 pm 

Hey,

Well I've been there, done that. We basically did that for most of the first 3 months with my son who had colic and was very fussy. By 4 months the colic was gone but he had gotten used to the walking and rocking him to sleep. At about 4 months I said enough is enough because it was just getting too tiring for us and he was getting so heavy......he was a big boy.
Soooooo, I decided we were going to put him in his crib and let him cry for 5 or 10 minutes. After doing this for a few nights, he was fine, and we never had to rock or walk him to sleep again, unless of course, he was sick. But at least we were able to put him to sleep wide awake.

Also, we developed a bedtime routine......quiet play, bath, bedtime story, bottle, bed. And we stuck to it.
We also got him the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders that plays very relaxing music, and ocean sounds, it can also light up and the fish swim. It has different settings. He really enjoyed that and would fall asleep to it. It turned off automatically after a few minutes.

Good luck :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:16 pm 

My son has the same one Nikki. And now they he's in the bed I put it on his head board. He loves it. Actually the music is so calming that when I am putting laundry away in there I have it on. Last night he must have woken up about 3 cause I heard he had the music on. He just presses it and goes back to bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:27 pm 

That's so funny Jenna! I think it is very popular, and we plan on putting it on Alex's new bed too. My friend did the same thing for her daughter.

Sometimes in the middle of the night I hear Alex's music go off. I think he sometimes pushes it or knocks it by accident. But he does put it on every night on his own and if the batteries are getting low he tells me to get new batteries. The funny thing is, well it's not that funny, he had grabbed the screwdriver off the ledge in the kitchen where I had put it while I went to grab the batteries. When I came back the screwdriver was gone, and sure enough Alex was trying to use it to get the back cover off of his Ocean Wonders. :shock: I told him to use "his screwdriver" the plastic one that came with his tool set.
Boy, did that ever scare me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:22 pm 

It use to go through batteries real quick. Now they have been lasting longer. I don't know if that means he's using it less.