Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: grandma rights
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:33 pm 

I am a teenage mother and my boyfriend lives at his house and he still is in school. His mother gets mad because my mom sees the baby more then she does and she has threated to take her son and I to court because she says she wants 2 see her grandson more. My mom, boyfriend and I both work and my boyfriends mother does not. My boyfriend usually has the baby 2 nights a week by his self because I work those night and my son is usually at his house at least 3 days a week. Does his mom have any right to complain when her grandson is there more than 3 days a week?? i just don't trust her at all, she has 7 kids and they just run wild and it does scare me, how do i deal with this situation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:30 pm 

Is she there when the baby is there?
She can complain all she wants it's not going to get her anywhere. And of course she can take you to court. Anyone can go to court, doesn't mean she will win. I would just brush it off. Have him deal with her

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:55 pm 

In PA (I don't know where you are from) there are no such thing as grandparental rights, godparental rights, or anything else. You, as a parent, have every right not to let someone see your kid AT ALL if you don't want to, including grandparents. Unless they are a court appointed guardian, they have not rights, NONE! So, no, there is nothing legally she can do, well, at least in PA. I am sure it is probably similar in other states.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:02 pm 

Actually in NEw York it's different. I know people who sued there son in law for visitation rights of there grand children. There daughter had commit suicide and there son in law wouldn't let them see the grandkids. So they took him to court and got every other weekend. But he was keeping the kids away from them all the time. That's a different situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:51 am 

She is there sometimes when the baby is there. I am from NY but if she wants 2 see her grandson so bad she should stay home instead of going out. It is like she wants to see him on her own time not when the baby is there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:02 am 

Yeah so she can take you to court doesn't mean she's going to get anything out of it. The judge will probably laugh at her. The only thing is it will be a hassle.
Are you on Long Island too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:26 am 

No i am from Syracuse. She says she wants my child to sleep over her house with out me but my son is only 5 month old and I am not going 2 leave him, he my and my boyfriends responsiblitiy. I mean when he gets older he can sleep over. It just feels like she wants to take him and shes not his parent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:00 pm 

Oh you're a little ways north. I go upstate often but only as far as Wingdale mostly.
I would have a real problem if someone specifically asked for my little child to sleep over without me. And if she should take you to court I would say that. But like I said before I am sure because you are young she thinks she can scare you. Just brush it off.