Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hannah's Mommy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:40 pm 

Hope you are doing good. I just read one of your posts where you mentioned Hannah has bad gas and you were wondering if they had the Mylicon drops here in Canada.
They have something called Ovol drops here, they're basically the same as Mylicon drops. They also have Gripe Water. I've used both for my son when he was a baby. I think the Ovol drops worked better. But you can try both. Make sure you get the Gripe Water without the alcohol.

Good luck with the gas!

Post subject: Momma says:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:58 pm 

I don't know if this will help or not, but this is what my momma told me...

When baby's have gas, thier tummy aches... there are two solutions, depending on the age of the child.....

1) 1-3 drops of essence of peperment (found in cake/candy making shops) to a full bottle of luke warm water - make sure to shake to dilute the peperment in the water

2) fill a bottle half way up with 7-up, or sprite, etc... then the rest of the way with luke warm water.... make sure to shake to mix the two liquids

Hope this helps

~Becca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:44 pm 
Hmmmmmm, I don't think it is a good idea to give a baby that young soda, maybe after they are a year that remedy would be fine. Things were much simpler to "fix"when we were babies I guess.:) My mom tells me that she put my brother and I on whole milk when we were 3 months old which is unheard of now.

Post subject: Clarification
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:49 pm 

The soda is dilluted by 50%, and its the carbonation (or fizz) that allows the baby to burp, causing the baby to expell gas...

Just clarifying my earlier post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:11 pm 

My first little boy had bad gas and use to cry all the time. I think the best thing for gas is nyclon (sp) drops. That is the best for a baby. I used it also with my second and will do with my third.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:35 pm 

It also helps to burp frequently, which sounds like common sense but they say to burp every couple of ounces but with my son I could not do that because it would throw him right off with his feeding. I would usually wait until he was finished to burp him.

Also, the bicycle motion with the legs helps expel gas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:51 am 

Thanks guys! Yea Nikki we got the Ovol drops... They seem to be working. I'll keep in mind the bicicle motion thing, I think we'll try that tonight. She ALWAYS gets it the worst at night just as I am ready to go to bed! Any reason for that? Or is it just to piss me off? :wink: LOL! We saw the doctor yesterday and he thinks it is because I am mixing breastmilk and formula. (not mixing per say but she'll get breastmilk during the day and formula for night feedings and whenever I don't have enough milk pumped out) Unfortunately she is unable to latch on to my nipples and I am pretty depressed about that b/c it is important to me for her to be fed breastmilk and it seems like everyday I have less and less to pump out! Anyone know how to increase my milk flow? Other than pumping more often? :( Well anyway...He said she is doing GREAT she is now at 9lbs 6oz :D (8lbs 13oz at birth) anyway talk to you all soon!