Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:59 am 

To anyone that this may have happened to, I am wondering if anyone has went for there 36 week check-up, and have the doctor manually try to dialate you to 1cm, becuase you should be, I mean why would they try to start now, wouldn't that happen normally at around 38weeks and more? Someone I know is having this happen to her, she's around 125 normally and then with child maybe 135-140, she's very small, and she has to be on that diet for gestiatioal diabetes. she the doc. told her that they baby is small anyways, if they do that to much wouldn't that cause premature labour?

Please respond I have never heard of this being done, and its never been mentioned in any of my classes.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:10 am 

I've never heard of it before. I'd think that if she's not dialated naturally then her body's not ready for it. Personally I'd tell that doctor to get her hands out of me.

My doc hasn't even checked me for dialation yet and I'm 37+1 weeks. I don't think it's something that's necessary either. Just because you're dialated doesn't mean the baby is coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:54 am 

When I hit 37 weeks I think my doctor checked to see if I was dialated everytime I went in. I was less than 1 inch everytime he checked and he'd say, your baby hasn't dropped yet.. blah blah blah.. So when I went to my Appt. Monday the 15th, and I was due Friday the 19th.. he gave me a perscription for that saturday to make sure that the baby wasn't in any stress.. and told me he was probably going to have to induce me.. I was determined to not get induced, so I walked for the next 2 days and Weds morning I had that baby. The Dr was sure surprised to see me in the hospital...

He never tried to manually dialate me though... and I've never even heard of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:08 pm 
i was never manually dialated either, the doc would just check me and be on his way. in the hospital, when i was at 9 1/2 cm, my doc had me push during a contraction and he tried to push the last bit of my cervix back, OMG that hurt soooo bed... but thats the only time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:30 pm 

MELISA...the same thing happened to me! When it was time for me to push there was a bit of my cervix still in the way or whatever and the nurse had to try to push it/hold it out of the way.

um yea about the manually dialating your friend THING...That sounds VERY WRONG!!!!!!! I went to like 41 weeks only getting up to 1 cm then going back down to 0, (I ended up getting induced) and hun being dialated means NOTHING if you are not having regular contractions!!! They wanted to wait as long as possible b/c it is not good to tamper with the NATURAL process of childbirth! And that sure sounds like tampering to me! If she is not yet dialated then she is not ready! She is only 36 weeks??? She is barely full-term!!!!!!!!!! That doctor is a mental case!!!!! Tell your friend to get another doctor!! (no it's not too late) With me they put a gel just inside my cervix to *hopefully* make my uterus contract, which would *hopefully* make me dialate to 1 so then could break my water and *hopefully* make me go into labour. And this was only b/c I was 2 weeks overdue!!!! They didn't try to force it open with their fingers!!! MY GOD! That is terrible! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:53 pm 

the friend she's japanese, and she's so sweet, she was telling my that she went to one of our local hospitals and seen a koren doc, she said she thought maybe it had to do something with her practice, but i wouldn't think that it would have anything to do with the doctor doing this, she also said that the same time she was trying to push on top of her belly downward at the same time she was trying to dialate her, i hate it for her, its her fisrst as well as mine, and me and another woman said that we thought that this was wrong, in any case, can't that cause some problems with the baby making the process happen sooner, i mean i know about the pre-mature labor, i mean like with infections, doesn't that mess with the mucus plug that blocks from infections? She said what she goes back she's going to find out why, she said that she asked and the doctor her because she was 36 weeks, and not showing any signs of dialation, like you guys were trying to tell her that she still needs to have this baby go for as long as it can......it just scares me when i hear new things about pregnancies that are closer to due dates, mines almost here to when i start visiting the doctor everyweek i start that it, at the beginning of April.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:59 pm 

I'm not sure about either your friend or her doctor, but could there be some sort of miscommunication in what was happening? Is it possible that the doctor was just checking to see if she was dialated and not trying to dialate her?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:04 pm 

she said that at her check up that she put her hand up there and said she was trying to dialate her at 1cm, and was telling my friend that since the baby doesn't weigh much its not pushing down on her cervix to start dialting? thats the impression we got from here and she said that this happend last time that she went as well. she mentioned that the doctor said that it would probably close again. i just don't understand why they would do that or for what correct reason they might have. but yeah she said that the doctor reached up there and used her finger to go inside the cervix and was making a U motion kinda a curving of the cervix to stretch it and it hurt her, she was acting like she was scared to go back , we both told her to go see someone else at the hospital.

have you heard of anything like that or why might this be done?
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:10 pm 

Well yea it must have hurt lika a *you-know-what* b/c if just checking hurts then someone trying to stretch it must really hurt!!! OUCH!!!

I really don't think it is right for a doctor to do that and I think your friend should see another doctor!

I wish her luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:18 pm 

She needs a second opinion from another doctor. Something just doesn't sit well about this. She should probably mention exactly what was done to see if this is standard practice. If not, advise her to file a complaint.