Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 8:27 pm 

She is now 19 months, and I consider since she has been born that I am going thru "chinese torture"! She was a reflux baby, and recently off Zantac, which has made no difference either way. NOW, she is rocking and humming MANY times over and over in the night, or kicking her foot, while humming, to go back to sleep. The ONLY time I go to her is at 2:30 am to give her a bottle and I make it "business". HAS ANYONE EVER HEARD OF THIS? I am a terrible sleeper, ALWAYS have been! NEVER have slept sound......is this just inherited, or is this a real problem for baby (of course I'm always tired LOL). Any suggestions would be appreciated, this torture on me has gone to far, and torture for her to I bet! Keira

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:10 pm 

Hi,

I'm just wondering if you have ever mentioned your daughter's sleep
problems to her doctor?? The humming and rocking that she does is maybe a comfort thing? I would mention it to her doctor as well.
The only thing that I could really recommend would be to have a nightly routine that you follow before bed (snack, bath, and bedtime story, etc.)and try to put her to bed the same time every night when possible. Also, try to cut the middle of the night bottle you give her. We stopped that with my 20 month old son at 5 or 6 months when he started sleeping through the night.
What you can do is give her a bottle right before bed to soothe her if you find it necessary or a light snack. Just remember to brush her teeth afterwards.
Does she have a nap during the day?? Maybe she is sleeping too much in the day and is therefore not sleeping well at night.....just a thought.
All I can say, is it's really tough......my son is now all of a sudden getting up at 6am every morning (he goes to bed around 8:30pm). He used to sleep until 7 or 7:30 am, but I think he is getting a few more teeth and is in some discomfort. Or maybe he is just establishing a new sleeping pattern. I'm just so tired all the time! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:45 am 

You didn't mention what time she goes to bed. Maybe you are trying to put her to bed too early or too late. You might try changing her bed time. I think some parents set a child's bedtime for THEIR convenience, which isn't always what is best for the baby. Plus I agree that the same bedtime routine every night is helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:51 am 

Thought of something else.....
Does she seem to be well rested during the day, as though she is getting enough sleep? Because everything I've read says that babies wake several times through the night and go back to sleep on their own. Maybe the humming, etc. is just her way of putting herself back to sleep and nothing to worry about as long as she is getting sleep and is well rested. If that's the case, it is bothering YOU more than her. Maybe you could turn off the monitor, close the door, move her out of your room, whatever the case may be-so that you can get some rest.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:36 pm 

Thanks for all the replies! :D She goes to bed at 8 pm, usually grabs her blanket and heads to the stairs. She has always awoke too many times in the night to count. I moved her out of our room about 5 months or so ago a began using the monitor. She wakes many times, and rocks herself and hums back to sleep. But at about 2:30 she well hollar, not cry, until you give her a bottle. And she is a late sleeper, probably because of not sleeping well? Sleeps till 8:30-10 am most of the time. She is very energetic when awake, but back to bed in a couple hours after first wake up, and sleeps for almost 2 hours. She seems energetic the rest of the day. Also, the last couple of weeks, our 5 yr old son is wondering around the house in the middle of the night????? I caught him urinating on the inside of the front door to the entrance of our house at about 11 pm. I found a spot in his room about a month ago, but our cat had kittens and I thought they had gone in his room. Last night, I got home at 4 am and he was sitting on the couch, with his blanket, wide awake, not sleep walking like the other night, he was watching some ganster movie!!! He said he was waiting up for me! He said he checked my bed, and came down stairs to wait for me. (I sing professionally on weekends). I find this odd that he has never slept well either. And as I previously stated, I have always been a terrible sleeper! I lately began taking a Xanex at night just to rest. If I don't I can tell you exactly what is going on in the house at all times, it's like I sleep with one eye open. I don't want my children to suffer the daily fatigue I have ALWAYS felt! So a Dr. appt is in order for baby girl this month. And I am going to make one for the brother too. This is scaring me, what if he walks outside? Getting chain locks this week! :( Thanks for listening! Keira