Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Hi I am new here
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:05 pm 

Hi I am cherub, I am a mom of many many years , if I can answer any questions or offer friendship , :D I am happy to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:37 am 

Hello!!!!

Yes, I do have some questions and since you have experience maybe you can help me.
I have a four year old little girl and altough cute, sweet and funny, she is so whinny and talks back something feirce. I know the whinning is a stage and I think the talking back is too, but it is non-stop. From the second I pick her up from school till she goes to bed it's a fight. I catch myself screaming at her sometimes or wanting too. I don't want to be like that.
I have never been a patient person. I am more patient with her however than most people but what can I do to make her mind me.
I see my sister in law spank her kids so often for everything they do that they are numb to it now and it get s her nowhere infact her son tries to spank other kids. he thinks that is what he is supposed to do when they are not doing what he says or thinks they should. I try time-out does not work at all with her. Yesterday I explained to her what privledges are and told her when she misbehaves she loses a privledge for the day. This morning that helped. But some times I feel like I am not doing something right. It really bothers me to the point of bending anyones ear who will listen and they seem to take light of it, but I need to hear other moms say" oh mine went through it and it's a stage" or give me helpful feedback of works for them. I have popped her butt in the past but it's seldom, that does work because it is so seldom it gets her attenion but I don't want to be " spank happy".
I am a good mom and my husband and I have a loving home. yes we both work, but we always make the weekend fun for her. We take her to the beach, we live 2 minutes from it so that is a weekly event in the summer for her. We take her to waterparks and movies, I read to her every single night so it's not like she lacks personal one on one attention from us. She is a little spoiled. But what gets me is she doesn't get her way all the time. I mean we don't let her do everything she wants and it may end up in a battle but she does have limitations. I just can't seem to make her mind me. my husband lets me be the bad guy in saying no most of time so she acts like she hates me when he is around. Is this normal?????? Sorry so long, I needed to vent. Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:55 pm 

My little boy gets angry, I mean really angry for an 8 month old. When I don't pick him up fast enough, he bites down on his little hand. It made me so sad, is this normal or do I have a big issue to deal with?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:04 pm 

does he bite down on his hand each time or most of the time or did it happen once. he may not have meant too. I have found that some babies do stuff like that because they dont' know how to express themselves they get upset because they don't know how to deal with certain emotions and act out like that, I have a nephew who did stuff like that as a baby. it will probably get better as he gets older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:56 am 

katwoman3 wrote:
does he bite down on his hand each time or most of the time or did it happen once. he may not have meant too. I have found that some babies do stuff like that because they dont' know how to express themselves they get upset because they don't know how to deal with certain emotions and act out like that, I have a nephew who did stuff like that as a baby. it will probably get better as he gets older.

It doesn't happen everytime, but every once in a while, when he gets really angry. It made me so sad one day, I was thinking about it all day. I couldn't get the expression on his little face off my mind. He just looked so frustrated and angry. Thank God, he doesn't have any teeth, or he would have really hurt himself.

I do hope it goes away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:44 am 

I know that feeling, my daughter has made expressions when hurt or scared that made me feel so sorry for her!!!!!!!!
but I wouldn't worry just yet about the anger. Babies don't understand a lot of what they feel and even worse have a harder time expressing the anger because they can't speak words just yet so don't worry about it yet.
My nephew, Hunter, did that sort of stuff. Now he's four and he's no more different than any other toddler when angry.
good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:47 pm 

katwoman3 wrote:
I know that feeling, my daughter has made expressions when hurt or scared that made me feel so sorry for her!!!!!!!!
but I wouldn't worry just yet about the anger. Babies don't understand a lot of what they feel and even worse have a harder time expressing the anger because they can't speak words just yet so don't worry about it yet.
My nephew, Hunter, did that sort of stuff. Now he's four and he's no more different than any other toddler when angry.
good luck.

Thanks, I needed to hear that. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:24 am 

Biting themselves is normal since they can't communicate verbal. Many infants/toddlers do this when they get mad/frustrated. Just like some bang there heads and some pull their hair. It' typical and they'll outgrow it.