Bulletin Boards
Home Page
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel   LoginLogin 

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:03 am 
Hi,

I am posting this question in two forums - pregnancy and birth because I don't know who can help me more, in case you will see it doubled because of this please forgive me.

question:

I am so undecided which way to go about giving birth.

I am bit familiar how it goes in the hospital and for now I have OBGYN
insisting on hospital birth - naturally, since she is also pushing towards Cesarian too.

but I am more natural girl and would like to do naturally, I have heard
that birthing centers operated by midwifes are more natural birth oriented and better focusing on comofort of woman than just medical procedure atmosphere.

I am thinking maby I should go with birthing center than but I have nobody to ask for second opinion. asking doctor is no point since she is only giving me advicce that is in best her interest I can sense it long ago.

I also fear because our hospital is like thousand patients a minute place so it is very impersonal experience and they are rushing you to go to next person and I think most c sections are done on basis different than need but rather go on with the program and get to the next patient.

so If any of you ladies have experience in both hospital and birthing center experience or just a birthing center please do share with me
and that would be a great help.

I know that there are many members from different places, my question is regarding the american experience since I am based in us.

thanks a bunch up front for your postings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:02 pm 

i am in a similar predicament as you: my doctor wants to put me on hormonal supplements and on and on, but i went to a midwifery clinic and they told me that the additional hormone can be attributed to miscarriage--however, that's not the point. personally, i would approach the natural way of childbirth. doctors and OBGYNS have a tendency toward taking advantage of the women. c-sections are preformed so often that most OBGYNS can preform them eyes shut. However, c-sections ARE dangerous. Don't believe otherwise. Any birthing center will tell you this. They will also tell you about other women's experiences. My mother had two children, the first in a hospital. She barely had time to see my brothers head before he was whisked away to have blood taken, footprints etc. She had me in a birthing clinic, and the midwife told her that that moment when the baby is born he/she should be put right onto her breast, for sometimes the baby will be apprehensive toward the mother if otherwise. I firmly believe this--but i also might be a bit bias (lol) as i'm studying for my midwifery degree. HOspitals make very stupid descisions i find, and treat the women as a patient with an illness rather than a blossoming women who is going through the most important trial of her life.
Hope this helps!!!
***You can also have a natural birth in a hospital setting.....something to consider if it seems your baby is breech. That way, if you are worried something could go wrong, you're already in the hospital, but you will have a midwife or a doula instead of an OBGYN.
http://www.socalbirth.org/providers/index.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:23 pm 

id go with natural birth at the hospital.... so if anything should go wrong then you are in the best hands, if you do choose a birthing center, please do take note that at the birthing center if complication go , they will transfer you to a hospital... and takin the chance of transfering to the hospital if something is wrong id rather have not to take the chance of wasting time to save my baby's health or life....if you are at the hospital you can go natural and have a nurse or midwife assist you and you dont need to take the drugs , you can go natural the safe way.... up to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:43 pm 

I sounds to me like you already know what you want, I say go to a birthing center. I think you will have the best experience there.

Try and choose one as close to a hospital as possible, just incase you need to get to one pronto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:25 pm 

I would think that any birthing center would have provisions in place for any emergency that came up for mother or child.

I'd go with a birthing center. They are less likely to intervene when it's not necessary.

Post subject: My choice
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:19 pm 
I would choose the birthing center. I love to let my body work naturally than drugs to force the baby out. Good luck. Alison :D